What would you buy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim

Established Member
Reaction score
i've been told by SWMBO that I can have a Christmas Present up to £200. Been looking through Axminster and Rutlands catalogues but just can't decide.

If you had £200 to spend on anything, what would you get???

It doesn't matter what I've already got. I'm interested in what you would get. :D

So you would be buying something for the sake of buying a tool, but with no particular job in mind?
Ahhh i see...you are a tool collector :)

Got it - ex demo and so only half your budget so another toy to find

Charnwood oscillating spindle sander with 3 extra bobbins (6 sizes) - been 'sent to santa' until xmas day

Other than that, wood!! Off to Yandles this week to spend the other half of the money :wink: (hoping to get enough beech to make a bench top)

I'd buy some wood. £200 of nice Oak/Walnut - and make something.

Adam

I'm with Adam, wood is a good idea. You could even go for some nice exotic timber for a special project.

Or what about an accessory for your table saw, such as a tenoning jig, Incra mitre gauge or their Mitre Express sled.
There's also the Osbourne Mitre gauge that Philly has, mind you you will have to get this from the USA.

You could also go for a nice hand plane from Veritas or LN.

What ever you get I hope you enjoy it, and that you use it to make Mrs SlimJim something nice.

Cheers

Mike

I think some Maple. I'd make something that Mrs WoodStoat would appreciate, maybe a dressing table, and hope the budget rose accordingly for my birthday :wink:

Well, I have decided. I'm going to get the JET wetstone sharpener.
It looks brilliant. Just as good as the tormek apparently but 100 quid cheaper.

I haven't tried the Jet sharpener, but I had a long talk with one of the tutors at Axminster Power Tools (just up the road, lucky me) about the various merits and demerits of both, and looked not so much at the machines as the construction quality of the tool holding attachments. Although the Tormek attachments were more expensive, they were of much higher build quality imo.

According to the chap at Axminster (I know they're in business but have more than once in the past directed me towards something cheaper, saying it represents better value for money), the Jet designers essentially bought the Tormek system and worked out a way to copy it cheaply. I got the Tormek and have never regretted the choice.

I've not been following how new Jet owners are finding it now, but there's been considerable talk about it on WoodNet and most of it was (certainly initially) positive. Worth looking for Timberwolf's posts - iirc he has a Tormek too.

Cheers, Alf

Back