What will happen to your tools when you die?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm taking all my finishes with me, thinners, lacquers, spray sealers, denatured alcohol etc. Everything coming in the box with me.

Should make for an interesting cremation event !!!!!

A couple of days before my father-in-law was cremated, it was pointed out that he'd had a pacemaker fitted about 30 years before...and that he'd still got it, even though he'd lain in the funeral parlour for a fortnight.
We had to contact his GP in order for it to be removed before the cremation.
He/she nipped down to the parlour, did the deed, and promptly charged £159 for the service....

(To be fair, not a job I'd fancy, but even so....!)

Im sure there's been a thread like this before 😆 anyhow, im also sure @Fitzroy said about an inventory and a guide price which i thought was a great idea. I still havent done it, but i dont plan on dying yet anyway 🤔 too much work to do, plus, if i died suddenly the mrs would nag me 🤣😆
Itd take days to go through all the kit... and I'd need to do the guitars too, some of them are worth a bit 🤨 of course they were incredibly cheap when i bought them, honest 😆

I think second-hand shops, like jumble sales, have disappeared owing to the use of eBay, Facebook Marketplace and Charity shops etc. When I were a lad, Exchange and Mart was still flourishing, and you could buy wind-up gramophones for 10/- at jumble sales. I used to buy giant radiograms, and strip them for components. Seems crazy now, when you can order a thousand SMT resistors on Amazon for next to nothing.

No booth malls there?

WE used to have second hand shops and now they exist mostly just for kids stuff. At least that would have anything - the used furniture and clothes charity store type places are still around.

When someone dies around here, old retail space is often bought or rented with a checkout at front. The space is divided up into square booths about 10x10 that you can rent for some minimal monthly fee. You pay the space rent, the retailer sells the stuff, your booth # is on the tag and the store gets some small share of the sale.

Once you've stopped turning over junk, divvy up between the garbage and an auction.

A booth mall is also the kind of place where someone who fishes tools out of during-the-week public sales will rent a booth, and some of them get refreshed pretty quickly. about a decade ago now, I found three complete stanley 7s and an almost perfect edwin hahn 7 sized jointer for $20 each. I left them, and went back the next day figuring I'd dispense them at cost plus shipping any time someone said "I can't find a good jointer", but they were all already gone.

Really wasn't a loss either way, pushing stuff like that through is a waste of time and the hahn jointer is just a curiosity.

I'm in the process of dealing with my dad's tools. It was always his wish to leave them to me because my brother isn't the slightest bit practical and didn't have room for them.

It's meant a whole lot of stuff has ended up at my place. What I didn't appreciate is that he had also acquired a load of stuff from his brother-in-law when died. In turn, he'd acquired a load of stuff from goodness knows where. Nobody had thrown much away over the years.

Now, in the same position, I find it difficult to get rid of the stuff as well. Too much sentimental value but, half a dozen bearing pullers, about 100 files, 50 screw drivers (the list goes on), far too much?

I have to be practical because I don't have enough space to house everything and some of the larger stuff, like a Kitty combination set up, I simply don't need. I'm in the process of sorting through things to ensure that it is complete, or as complete as possible. Then I have to be a bit ruthless.

Looking back, I think my dad always wanted to pass everything on, but he didn't really know how much he had or how much work it would be (as well as the emotional effort). In his later years he wasn't able enough to sort through stuff and was keen for me to take things (his way of dealing with it perhaps?). Trouble was, at that time I didn't want to confront his demise and I didn't have the space for it. One of the main reasons why we moved earlier this year was to have more space so that we could accommodate some of the stuff which would come our way.
Hi Ian, although our circumstances were by no means the same as yours, there are close parallels. I'm Secretary of the Acocks Green Men's Shed in Birmingham.

One day last Autumn (2021) we received a communication from the National Association of Men's Sheds about a gentleman who had added a bequest to his last will and testament that he wanted all his workshop be given to a local Men's Sheds. To give you some idea of the scale of the task, his workshop comprised a double garage full of a wide range of tools, machines and equipment.
I spent a couple of months trying to identify any other Sheds in the locality which might have an interest in any of the items, and failed to find even one that either had room for anything more, or else was too far away to make collection worthwhile.
I did eventually find one member of another Shed who was able to place a few items. The remainder we either found room for, or with the agreement of the family, sold what was left and used the monies to boost the Shed's funds.
Sheds are part of a loose nationwide organisation, the purpose of which is to help reduce loneliness, isolation or social exclusion among (mainly) older men. Sadly there is little or no regular funding mechanism to support this essential work, whether from national or local government, even though the benefits, of which there are many, would save both the NHS and Social Care considerable sums of money each year.
Anyway, enough about this. I wish you well with what we know can be a lengthy and arduous process.

Dave Rogers.
Secretary, Acocks Green Men's Shed.

Having a up-to-date asset list on a spreadsheet that references a unique asset number on your tools can help a great deal.
Even just a clear description and model number, purchase date and purchase price can help those that have to deal with it afterwards.

With the above you can check on eBay what similar kit sold for and since it is a spreadsheet it can be sorted from most valuable to least, focussing the efforts and care of any transactions on the top ones.

As far as valuable material is concerned, I stick asset number tags on those also (you can buy sequentially numbered asset tags online).
To prevent hoarding things like tins of paint, pieces of timber or additional tools the following is a trick a friend of my father who owned a second hand store used since he had to be careful of not keeping stuff too long. He simply labelled things with the date he last used it/bought it/picked it up. If he picked anything up with a date older than a year, he got rid of it. Sell it, gift it or bin it. Just get rid of it. Brutal but works well.

Gee, and I thought I was a a cynic !
Man, you've got it bad.
Same thing thats going to happen to the rest of your stuff.
The relatives are going to descend en masse and ransack your house, most of which will go on Ebay, the rest to the local recycling center to be used as fuel for the local power station

A couple of days before my father-in-law was cremated, it was pointed out that he'd had a pacemaker fitted about 30 years before...and that he'd still got it, even though he'd lain in the funeral parlour for a fortnight.
We had to contact his GP in order for it to be removed before the cremation.
He/she nipped down to the parlour, did the deed, and promptly charged £159 for the service....

(To be fair, not a job I'd fancy, but even so....!)
I guess the pacemaker did not do it's job in the end- so why remove it ?
Ain't much good to anyone else !
Batteries don't last forever.
I've got one, but when I am gone - why bother ?

In relation to that point about donating to local enthusiast, are there any members here from Ireland? (Midlands in particular). Might be a while before I need to use this option!😝
I'm from the Midlands, Co. Laois in fact!

My wife knows I've built up a good collection of tools over the years and I have given some thought to what will become of them when I am no more. I have some vintage stuff that belonged to my great great grandfather that I would like to stay in the family, even though much of it will never be of use in the "modern age". I'd like my children to hold onto anything they think they might use or want to keep, with the rest to be sold off I suppose. I'll be dead, it won't matter I suppose but I would hate my wife or children to be taken advantage of by a wiley relative (don't we all have one of those?) or dealer, so I have compiled a rough inventory to help with valuing the more interesting stuff. It can be a little embarassing when you find stuff you forgot you had, sometimes unused/ just opened and put away, especially if it was expensive at the time and you just had to have it!

I guess the pacemaker did not do it's job in the end- so why remove it ?
Ain't much good to anyone else !
Batteries don't last forever.
I've got one, but when I am gone - why bother ?
It may sound daft but they are removed to avoid the pollution created when burning it. Plastics, treated items etc cannot be in a coffin that is going to be used for a cremation.

In very recent years I have sold the contents of my late brother-in-law's shed. At the same time I have also helped the widow of a very close friend sell her late husbands tools. All have been done over 3 or 4 village garage sales and been pretty successful. The sales highlighted the disposal issue as on 2 occasions I was asked by people attending whether I would clear their sheds/workshops? Like with the sale of my late friend's stuff, people left with the responsibility for clearing are sometimes happy for the proceeds to go to charity. In his case the 'Woodland Trust' which seemed very appropriate.

Sawtooth
mines a Defibrilator type....gotta say it's saved me at least 5 times now....changed the meds......
often wonder if u died of something else....say a stabbing.....
do u still jump around like in the movies when u get shocked.....hahaha.......

my last check up said that the bat in mine will last at least 10-12 years.....well that me then.....lol....

`my consultant said that all old pacemakers end up in India to be reused......and most new ones are made in the US....

Carpenteire 2009
everytime I move benches and cupboards in my place I always fine something I lost.....does that count....
plus have a few doubles coz I couldn't find the original....dohhhhh......
must try harder to be more organised.....

It may sound daft but they are removed to avoid the pollution created when burning it. Plastics, treated items etc cannot be in a coffin that is going to be used for a cremation.
I've been thinking about this, and was wondering how many times the fancy brass stuff like handles on coffins gets sold.

Is there a tame house gnome with a screwdriver behind the curtain unscrewing all the stuff and giving it a quick polish, before selling it on to the next grieving widow ?

Even complete coffin sets, toast the stiff in a bag and give the box a quick swish out with the vacuum, a spritz of febreze and it's ready for the next one.

Could be a nice little earner there.

Carpenteire 2009
everytime I move benches and cupboards in my place I always fine something I lost.....does that count....
plus have a few doubles coz I couldn't find the original....dohhhhh......
must try harder to be more organised.....
I too am guilty, have on ocassion bought a "replacement" when I couldn't find the specific tool I knew I had, then weeks later the original turns up in the some hidden corner or other! It's always a nice feeling when those "missing" tools turn up though.

Latest posts

Back