What to start doing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8squared

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been working with wood for on and off just over two years but only with pallets making birdhouses and picnic tables.

This summer I've made the step to become a woodworker and built myself a small workshop, then I got some proper wood, mahogany, oak, beech and Douglas fir (hoping to make a small side table)

The trouble is now I'm stuck as what to make that is simple enough for a beginner but also something that will help in improving my skills, I seem to find myself with no idea of what I could make and simply spend my time making jigs and routing or jointing wood and not very good either.

Would like to hear your suggestions and also what you started out making that was helpful when you started woodworking.

Thanks

Make a box, you can start off simply with but joints and progress to mitres, dovetails secret dovetails, veneered panels etc.
And the pieces are small so they are easy to make in a small workshop.

Pete

Spice racks, bread boards,coasters. Try ordering a few books from the library. There are lots about that should give you a few ideas.
Best of luck :D

Hi 64,
One of the first things I made was a bed with the help of my father in law.
Then a bench and then a kitchen.
Many years later I made a bureau.
I've probably made many things in between but can't think of them at the moment.
I recently made a knitting box for my daughter from some old floorboards and left over TG&V.
Basically these were all for personal use. ie I made what I/we needed or felt the house needed and felt capable of making.

May I suggest useful things (as David123 suggests) instead of decorative. This way the item will be kept instead of being displaced by fashion or put away because "it collects dust".

My father made loads (100+) of turned wooden items, bowls, fruit, lamps etc. There is a limit to how much you can fill yours and your friends houses with.
One of the most useful things my Dad made was a cylindrical Housemaid (thing with needles and cotton in). My wife has one and is always handy.

Cheers

Andy

Like Andy said. My own history of making things is one of having no spare cash while needing to furnish a flat or house.
Many items can be basic (screws and glue in cheap wood) or advanced (proper joints).
So I made bookcases, beds, tables, boxes, cupboards, wardrobe, tables, chair, garden chair, compost bin, cold frame...and a workshop bench of course!

Hi,
I'd say a good workbench should be pretty well at the top of your list if you haven't already made one.
Cheers,
John

Back