What to put in a first aid kit?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrYorke

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm after suggestions of what to put in my workshop/van first aid box?

I know I'm going to get some random suggestions but hopefully there will be some sensible ones.......although I'm game for a laugh to see what you all can come up with :)

I find the most useful items are a never-ending supply of sticking-plasters, and a small pair of pointy-ended tweezers. Anti-septic cream for use before applying plaster is an optional extra.

Can't ever remember using anything else - but that doesn't mean there won't be a first time at some point!

I normally just keep various plasters / micropore tape/ sterile eye wash handy. If it needs anything more than those then more than likely need a hospital visit. :eek:

A few items I'd add to a standard kit:

3M nexus plasters - work really well and you don't know you're wearing them
Micropore tape
Eyewash kit
Israeli field dressing with pressure bar - easy to apply and the pressure bar keeps working after you slide into unconsciousness...
Cling film - useful for burns, keeping large wounds clean, and wrapping bits in
Sterile bag (to put bits in...)
Chemical cold packs, for bruises and to keep the bits in the bag cool
Superglue - good for small cuts, stings like nobody's business but sticks small cuts back together very well

Oh, and rum, obviously :wink:

duct tape
insulating tape
scissors
bandages and the really cool elastic clips u get for them
eye wash
rubber gloves
hand wash

Steve

All good suggestions but I think you have to ask who is going to be using the kit and what their first aid knowledge is

Grahamshed":19ngmeii said:
All good suggestions but I think you have to ask who is going to be using the kit and what their first aid knowledge is
Totally agree, I was going to say 'instructions'.

Various size bandages and a triangular bandage and the scissors have to be round nosed, safety pins, magnifying glass, burn spray.

Not forgetting Brandy, it's good for shock :lol:

Baldhead

As you mentioned van, an emergency phone power pack (normally uses AA batteries) as murphy will make sure yours is flat if you need to call help.

My first aid kit;
Jewellers tweezers (sharpened to a needle point for getting splinters out).
Jewellers eye glass to see what I'm digging out with the above.
Antisceptic wipes.
Bottle of clean water. Great for cleaning wounds, burns, washing out eyes and taking medication.
Sticking plasters
The one thing I'm amazed no one has mentioned is Steri-Strips. Essential for holding larger cuts together.
Two bandages
Sting/bite cream (anti-histamine)
Paracetamol, Asprin, Ibuprofen and Pepto-Bismol
All packed with clean kitchen towel.

I suppose I should have chosen the single most important thing - training. I've been lucky enough to receive training courses, on my own time and through various employment. I've been unlucky enough to have to use it, I can't tell you how good it feels to help keep a friend alive long enough for the professionals to take over. The instructions on the package are no use to man nor beast when you've got a world that is suddenly full of screaming and arterial blood.

An interesting question, and so far I think the best answers have been of the 'who will be using it, and with what training?' kind. I would like to add 'what sort of injuries anticipated?'.
Useful things to have :
Gauze bandages plus some means of stopping bleeding - most likely woodworking injury
Sterile water/saline for eye washout, frankly, in a first aid situation tap water will be clean enough to wash out wounds - certainly cleaner than your skin or anything contaminating it. And you would need considerably more water to effectively wash out with than any you would put in a kit.
Elastoplast (or similar) to hold small wounds together - don't bother with steri-strips, they are fiddly and not necessary for first aid.
Medical tape is handy, but Elastoplast better than micropore for adhesion to skin, no need to have more than one type
Antiseptic is fine, if you have space
Fine tweezers and magnifying glass good ideas for splinterectomy
Printed phone list of people to call in an emergency
Probably a few other things I have forgotten, but the above would suit most situations.

Things I wouldn't bother including :
Any drugs whatsoever - if the injury is severe enough to warrant hospital admission, it might muck things up a little, and if it doesn't require professional help, then painkillers etc can be taken from home medicines.
Any duplication - keep things simple, in an emergency you want as few options presented to you as is reasonable. By all means have a stash of sticky plasters etc, but no need to have three types of tape, two type of bandage...
Anything requiring 'advanced' training - it might not be you who is using the kit

Just my thoughts...

KevM - your replies suggest you have experience here, may I ask whereabouts, and what is an Israeli field dressing? The clingfilm is also a very good idea, for the reasons you mention.

Cheers,
Adam

Great thread, might be an idea if one of the more medically trained members gives us the run down and what exactly to do if we do lose a bit. Keep it clean, obviously (bit tricky if all falls on workshop floor) but seem to remember some conflicting advice on ice or no ice.

I assume by 'lose a bit', you mean a finger? Well, from what I recall, you definitely don't want to have the traumatically amputated bit in direct contact with ice, but you do want it cool. So, wrap in clingfilm, then tea-towel and place in container with ice and get to A&E smartish.
Stopping/reducing bleeding is your main priority, however. And a lot will depend on whether you are working solo, or have folk around.
V
Adam,

Back