What to do with this MONSTER ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have this huge Ash Burr and I want to know what I should do with it ? It’s 820mm L x 720mm W x 440mm H.

Attachments

• A79A530E-EFB6-4B4F-A593-91C94D060209.png
    A79A530E-EFB6-4B4F-A593-91C94D060209.png
    564.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 73BF544E-ED69-4E3C-A0B5-858BF3924990.png
    73BF544E-ED69-4E3C-A0B5-858BF3924990.png
    488.3 KB · Views: 66
  • D9B208FA-B5F2-4D21-8DE8-D2893A7DE01D.png
    D9B208FA-B5F2-4D21-8DE8-D2893A7DE01D.png
    573.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 05BFED3A-752C-44F1-BE59-1679ADE7299C.png
    05BFED3A-752C-44F1-BE59-1679ADE7299C.png
    515.4 KB · Views: 69
Make the most of it and get it cut into veneer slices

I have a large burl waiting to dry out a bit. Not quite that big but still rather hefty. A eucalyptus of some kind. My plan for it is to take a slice about 75mm from the flat end to make a small side table and then the rest should fit on my lathe for a large bowl.
Regards
John

This is one I did a few years ago, I agree it’s not easy to think what you can use them for and this is just sort of a thing to put your keys in it’s about 500 mm long. IanView attachment 105433

that's beautiful, I love the contrast between the highly polished/finished surface and the hand gouged bowl 👌🏼

that's beautiful, I love the contrast between the highly polished/finished surface and the hand gouged bowl 👌🏼
Thank you, yes that was the idea, there was a defect just there which is one of the reasons why I took that out. There was another grotty bit on the edge which I cut off to make it the same width as my planer, then finished off with a smoothing plane. Ian

I have only used burr pen blanks and boards containing burry patches.

Is there a chance that it isn't burry inside and is quite boring? It is a question in general, it has always made me slightly hesitant with buying such things. I have only ever seen finished items and have no idea if the maker has discarded half of the burrs along the way in creating them.

No Marcros, if you look at the surface on that one I made those brown splodges go all the way through and form the spikes on the outside surface – twigs I suppose you could call them. But there is often a sapwood area around the outside that is plain and can cause problems. You can see a bit of it on the end of mine near the scooped out bit. Ian

I have an even bigger elm burr I paid £25 for - and then wondered when I did manage to get it home "how the hell am I going to use it?" Eyes bigger than ... etc.

There was a bit of hope that I would get some realistic suggestions in this post !

Ian, I'm wondering how you got such a good finish on that - and please don't tell us you have a lathe that can turn 500mm ! :ROFLMAO:
Rob

Three posts back, cut a grotty bit off the edge which made it possible to put it over my planer, then finished it off with a sharp number 4 smoother.
Rob I have one that is not quite as big as the OP's but it’s shaped like a double humped camel, it’s been in the workshop for quite a while, very dry now and the bark picks off nicely when I’m bored lol. Far too big to go over the planer, but I still think I shall make a coffee table out of it, big holes running right through it from what would be the top makes it that bit more interesting I suppose?

I have an even bigger elm burr I paid £25 for - and then wondered when I did manage to get it home "how the hell am I going to use it?" Eyes bigger than ... etc.

There was a bit of hope that I would get some realistic suggestions in this post !

Maybe chainsaw to take the top off, then set up a couple of rails and a router sled at the appropriate height to flatten? You could then spin the top that you cut off over, temporarily silicone some blocks / offcuts in place to prop it up fairly level and use the router sled to flatten the offcut too?

Back