What size band saw blade?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ59

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just purchased a Charnwood band saw which only comes with a 1/4" blade (don't know how many TPI).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHARNWOOD-W71 ... e#shpCntId

I am new to these saws so I would like some advice from you knowledgeable people on what size blade is best, (i.e 3/8" or 1/2" or a better 1/4") and how many teeth per inch is best.
I've already read that Tuff saws is the place to get them from.
All advice appreciated. :wink:

Depends what you are going to be cutting with it really Russ, material, thickness, straight or curved cuts, or a mixture ?

Cheers, Paul

Paul,
Will be a mixture over time I would imagine.
My mrs wants a blanket chest making so I'm going to have a attempt at that, so I know I will be cutting a few tenon's to start with, in pine.

Russ59":2qjn17oi said:
Paul,
Will be a mixture over time I would imagine.
My mrs wants a blanket chest making so I'm going to have a attempt at that, so I know I will be cutting a few tenon's to start with, in pine.

See what other Charnwood owners have to say, but I would think that when you speak to Mr Tuffsaws, A good start would be a wide one for ripping, say a 3/4" and a 1/2" for smaller work, and sweeps, and a 1/4" for any tighter radius cuts, very much as you have already thought.
Regards Rodders

Just belatedly had a look at the link for the saw Russ, being a small one with maximum depth of cut of 3" I doubt it would take or tension wider blades, actually, just rechecked the link and it says 3/8" max.

So you don't really have much choice on width but actually I was going to suggest 3/8" as a good general purpose blade anyway that will cut reasonably straight if set up and tensioned properly, but still narrow enough to do some curved cuts if required.

I would probably go for something like 6tpi in the 3/8" for general use on that size machine, it's similar to the small rexon saw I use for smaller stuff, and that's the size I settled on as being most useful for me. Fewer tpi isn't really necessary given the 3" limit on depth of cut and it may struggle a bit and be jumpy with fewer teeth, you could go for higher tpi if cutting a lot of thinner stock and needed a finer finish, but 6tpi is probably a good general purpose one to start with I would think.

Cheers, Paul

Back