what saw to use to cut logs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dilwyn

Established Member
Reaction score
hi guys just a thought other than a petrol chainsaw what other saw is suitable for cutting logs.got a large amount of elm trees to cut down and bring home i used a bow saw and been cutting them in nine inch lenghts.not got a chain saw so was wondering if there was any other saw that can be used hard work cutting by hand as i/m getting on a bit say no more . worth a try asking you guys cheers dilwyn.. :?

Other than one of these (if you can find a slave)
Two handed saw.jpg

A chain say is the answer.

Have you thought about a mobile sawmill? that Elm could be profitable if it is big enough.

Andy

Attachments

• Two handed saw.jpg
    Two handed saw.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 1,425
chinese chain saws are getting very cheap and there pefectley useable. but please be careful as they are lethal if used incroectley. its also worth investing in the correct saftey gear!

black-decker-alligator-lopper-electric-chain-saw.jpg

these are excellent for smaller logs, and it would not be easy to receive a serious injury with this, but still treat with caution!

adidat

I have a Thomas Flinn 1 man crosscut saw. Obviously if you have a lot to do, and know how to wield one, a chainsaw is the only quick solution. But the crosscut saw is more practical than a bowsaw -- mind you, if were talking a modern DIY shed bowsaw -- so is hiring a beaver.

phil.p":24m720ie said:
You really have little alternative to a chain saw (if you've access to power, an electric one?) Are you sure they're elms? there aren't many left, even dead. Try to get some turnery sized pieces - ££!
being new to this how much would they sell for if they were freshly cut 9 inches in diamiter say 2 ft long thanks for your answer

Our Bosch electric chainsaw was only about £80 when we bought it and it's very capable - it cut through a 10" chunk of greenheart easily enough.

Or if you want to do it by hand then one of these look good. £133 is a bit steep though.

Mark

Latest posts

Back