what powertools for a newbie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prawnking

Established Member
Reaction score
hi after some advice on setting up workshop,
already have a table saw (ppro) and a pillar drill and various hand powertools drills, jigsaws, router, circular saw.
mainly looking for advice on planer/ planer thicknessers and any other tools recommended i guess a bandsaw would be handy,
tips on what makes r good which to avoid etc,
i have been looking at charnwood w570 and the new sip 6x4 model 01497
which had a good review in practical woodworking mag.
any suggestions greatly appreciated
cheers

Hi prawnking ( had to do a double take on the name :lol: )
Welcome to the forum
I am not sure about the models you are looking at ( as I have not used them ) but if you start looking for a bandsaw, a few people on here have sip bandsaws and all have been happy ( me also ).
Happy reading :)

You could have saved yourself a bit of copy'n'paste, Adam, and just linked here. :wink:

Welcome to the forum, PK. Big question; an idea of budget always helps in these sort of situations.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":r4kzejpo said:
You could have saved yourself a bit of copy'n'paste, Adam, and just linked here. :wink: Cheers, Alf

That assumes I knew that post existed! Sadly, I'd forgotten that particular post. I did, briefly, consider doing them in nice links like you always manage, but I knew you'd be along shortly with some pukka links, and I was a little short on time.

Adam

Oh deary me, all these life changes are taking their toll, eh? It's a sticky right above this post... :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

cheers for the replies, budget for a thicknesser a £150 - £200 planer thicknesser £150 - £350
not sure what other tools to set up with though any suggestions i have around £700 in total to play with but thats to kit me out fully or as much as i can anyway.
dont want to regret buying cheap stuff so if i have to buy better and save some more money for the rest so be it.

my name is shaun by the way 3brothers and a sister call me prawn hence nickname for online gaming etc was prawnking lol

i like the look of sip products but after reading the link on planer thicknessers above it seems a lot having trouble getting the infeed, out feed tables to be true to each other and also have trouble with the fence being square to the table.

is charnwood a good make because i have only noticed 1 person with one.

cheers
oh buy the way i really do appreciate the replies i know its probably a bit of a bore and you get asked the same questions over and over thanks again.

This is what we are here for so ask away :)
We all have question that someone else can answer ( well most of the time ) :wink:

Back