What kitchen?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vormulac

Established Member
Reaction score
What ho chaps,

At some point in the next couple of months (all being well) I will be moving into a new home. The kitchen in there is perfectly serviceable, but I've been promising myself a decent sized kitchen for years, so we'll be knocking down a wall to create a spacious kitchen/diner type affair and replacing the kitchen in its entirety. With this in mind, can anyone who fits kitchens for a living or who has done so for their own home recommend a make/company? There are the obvious places to look at catalogues (Homebase, Wickes, etc) but I'm keen to hear from people with actual experience of them.

Cheers!

V.

Vormulac":171n8g6o said:
What ho chaps,

At some point in the next couple of months (all being well) I will be moving into a new home. The kitchen in there is perfectly serviceable, but I've been promising myself a decent sized kitchen for years, so we'll be knocking down a wall to create a spacious kitchen/diner type affair and replacing the kitchen in its entirety. With this in mind, can anyone who fits kitchens for a living or who has done so for their own home recommend a make/company? There are the obvious places to look at catalogues (Homebase, Wickes, etc) but I'm keen to hear from people with actual experience of them.

Cheers!

V.

Howdens - wasn't too bad, a MFC one IIRC. Mind you it wasn't my kitchen, favour gone mad, if you know what I mean. That's sort of at one end - also a German brand on the other end (mdf units), 10x the cost of the Howden one. Can't remember the make at the mo.

Down to cost vs wants\needs.

Sorry couldn't be any more help. The kitchen in our house - at worst will be built by me or at best, some bits bought in and the rest me.

Dibs

Doctor":3pe5rjwl said:
These chaps are good handmade kitchens herts, bit pricey but you get what you pay for.

Your web site...

... is like trekking in the Himalaya:

You're just below a ridge, thinking, "one more heave and I've made it."

Then you do finally crest the ridge, and get to see how bloomin' much higher the real mountain actually is !

Not to say they're not very, very nice kitchens though.

Is there a smiley for "I am not worthy"?

E. =P~

Thanks guys.

That site looks fabulous, Doctor, but I suspect a trifle out of my league in terms of budget!

Dibs, you say Howdens wasn't too bad... what wasn't too good about them?

I have installed three kitchens using this lot:

http://www.121tradedirect.co.uk/

They sell direct. Excellent value for money. They sell carcasses too (18mm).
They do charge for delivery normally £100 max for a big order, though !

This was the last one I did in my last house
4 oak tree drive 007.jpg

The fittings/ hinges are cheap c*ap, so I sold them on the bay and bought Blum hinges, soft closers, self closing drawer runners and quality handles. Whole lot was still £000's less than anywhere else!

Attachments

• 4 oak tree drive 007.jpg
    4 oak tree drive 007.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 2,277
I would also consider having the kitchen made for you in Kit form and you fitting it. That way you get that bespoke quality look at a much discounted rate.

Coda Interiors offer this service. In fact if you are coming along to the bash, we're holding it in their workshop, so you can get a feel for how it works.

I used units supplied by Wickes (which got a good recommendation from Which) for our Utility Room.
Very good value at the time and no problems with them.
Fitted them myself including the plumbing. Sink came from B&Q which was a big mistake!

Rod

That's certainly an interesting idea, thanks Wizer. I'm a bit out of touch having not been around for some time, where and when is the next bash?

Hi,

As a kitchen designer/maker and an ex-employee of Magnet in the UK, I reckon their stuff is OK but... I too would recommend Wickes for good value. Howdens used to be MFI but I don't know if they are independent now that MFI have gone but I never rated them much anyway.

Most of the big manufacturers offer just about the same range now so its mostly down to cost and the quality of the fittings.

If you want something different you obviously have to pay the price! I used to rip off Mark Wikinson kitchens which START at £30,000. Customers thought that a third of that was good value. I am quite sure you can find someone who can do this for you on the forum. Ask for special rates of course.

You can see the sort of thing on the kitchens page on my site - linked to Flickr.

Good luck.

There's some lovely looking work there Gordon! So you don't especially rate Howdens, but you think Wickes stuff is ok, that's interesting. This is a really useful thread hearing people's different experiences of different brands.

Thanks!

Thank you Tom. :)

Hi Vormulac

I the guy behind Coda. Feel free to give me a ring if you want a kit, we also offer a complete service too under a different banner. You are welcome for a chat, which might be of value, even if you plan to fit an "off the shelf" kitchen.

The bash is YOKB (Ye Olde Kentish Bash) and is on 28th May this year, there are threads about it on here and on TWH. You should find some photos of last years event which was our first but seems to be quite well received. It takes place in Staplehurst, Kent.

Hi Simon, not sure I'll be able to make the bash, but I'll certainly try!

Going from a 12'x7.5' 'galley' kitchen to a 24'x10' (possibly more if I get a builder involved) is opening up some fun possibilities! :)

!!!!That's a SEVEN FOOT LONG COOKER!!!

Ooooh... my wife's not going to be happy about this - she's managing the budget...

You're a bad bad man Pete... :)

Have a look around see if you can find a dealer who will supply you with a Crown kitchen they actually make kitchens and lots of dealers/fitters supply their kitchens. They are really good quality and probably dont cost much more than a Howdens kitchen.

Vormulac":33ydi3s5 said:
Thanks guys.

That site looks fabulous, Doctor, but I suspect a trifle out of my league in terms of budget!

Dibs, you say Howdens wasn't too bad... what wasn't too good about them?

You've almost said it yourself - above. In terms of a day to day kitchen - absolutely nothing wrong with Howdens and to be honest probably the same goes for Wickes and Screwfix are doing kitchens nowadays.

But it's probably like putting a Mondeo next to a Bugatti - you know which one gets the wow factor. Bit like a std kitchen and one of Doc's creations (Doc's gets the wow factor - before anyone says anything! :p ). But for those of us (me included) where after the needs have been dealt with, not a fat lot left to deal with the wants - compromise creeps in.

There is a 3rd way - Brad has mentioned it before, you could get a cabinet supplier to supply you the carcases (to spec & finish) and you could either do the doors\drawer fronts yourself, or I wouldn't be surprised if the same lot did everything.

HIH

Dibs

Back