What is the last useful thing you did with a chisel?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put a chamfer on the edge of a board to stop spelching when planing across the grain with my Jack plane.

Fitting hinges and locks on 3 internal oak doors, although most of the hard work on the locks was done with my souber dbb jig.

Fitting new hinges to every internal door in the house.

The new solid brass hinges are slighly bigger than the old brassed mild steel hinges I'm replacing and their screw holes are in slightly different places. Therefore lots of plugging old screw holes, trimming and fiddling around.

And would you believe that so many hinge recesses could coincide with the most knotty and difficult grain on the edges of the doors?

Scraped some plaster off a door casing after skimming ceiling, it my old footprint chisel affectionately named giuseppe

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Reason for asking - I wondered about what to set up as a realistic chiselly job for a forthcoming sharpening demo.

I only have a set of cheap plastic handled chisels,have had these for a long time but have never had the knack of sharpening them properly,i manage to get sharpish but in the process the most used have become somewhat out of square.Now Jacob if you like i could lend you them for your demo so you could do a before and after demo,you get to show how it should be done and i get a nice sharp/square set of chisels. :D
Would you be interested ?, dont know why i dont just buy new but strangly enough i find them comfortable .

Regards

Mark

MARK.B.":3bshlpda said:
Reason for asking - I wondered about what to set up as a realistic chiselly job for a forthcoming sharpening demo.

I only have a set of cheap plastic handled chisels,have had these for a long time but have never had the knack of sharpening them properly,i manage to get sharpish but in the process the most used have become somewhat out of square.Now Jacob if you like i could lend you them for your demo so you could do a before and after demo,you get to show how it should be done and i get a nice sharp/square set of chisels. :D
Would you be interested ?, dont know why i dont just buy new but strangly enough i find them comfortable .

Regards

Mark
Sharp yes, square ish. Why square? How square?

Sorry not able to explain clearly,the cutting edge is not straight across any more so maybe they need regrinding or something more drastic than just sharpening ?.

MARK.B.":1rcfhy04 said:
Sorry not able to explain clearly,the cutting edge is not straight across any more so maybe they need regrinding or something more drastic than just sharpening ?.
Yes bring them along.

Sounds like metal work required.
There comes a point where you have to reshape an edge, especially with some old 2nd hand pieces where they've been horribly rounded over. You can do it by hand on a coarse grindstone but it's really slow especially if very thick with hard laminated steel, so a powered machine may be the answer.
Belt sander is best IMHO as you have more control over the shape, avoid hollow grinding and over heating. But there may be a fire risk from sparks unless you have a Sorby Pro-edge or similar.
Start by presenting the edge straight on at 90º and shape it, either straight or cambered.
Then back it off at 25º with a coarse grit.
Then it's ready for honing by hand at 30º.
If you do the convex bevel thing at first this is indistinguishable from a modern 'micro' secondary bevel but eventually after many honings the whole bevel will be rounded. No further grinding will be needed until you damage the edge with a nail etc.

Pared down the excess on a hickory handle fitted to a sledgehammer head. Since the hickory was compressed by the wedge, and is hard at the best of times, I ended up using a 1/4" chisel to reduce the force needed - the hardest wood I've cut in a while.. Good old steel - the edge at 30 degrees held fine.

BugBear

Put the finishing touches to the corner joinery on a buch of window sashes for a customer. I did the bulk of the work with a tenoning sled om the spindle oulder but there are certain parts of the joint that only can be made by hand.

Hello, I've not posted here before but I've read and enjoyed the posts for a year or so.

Last thing I did with chisels was to cut hinge and lock recesses to some doors.

Yes bring them along.

Dont think i will be able make the event Jacob,but i might just have a go at the belt sander idea

One of the last times I used a chisel I was fortunate to be using a beautiful old English 2 1/2" firmer belonging to my customer,to house large building ties into joists.
Unfortunately when packing up the chisel got knocked & fell about 11' to the floor below & chipped both corners of the very sharp rounded bevel edge :oops:
Luckily the owner of said chisel was understanding. :D

HTH

Back