Big Chisel!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
Just acquired a big chisel and wondering what it's actually used for?

The blade is 3" wide and the full length including handle is 22", it was among some turning tools.

Is it a turning tool or just a big firmer chisel, should I be taking up timber framing?

It's stamped I. Sorby, Cast Steel.

Big Chisel 1.jpg

Big Chisel 2.jpg

Big Chisel 3.jpg

It's got a bolster, so probably not a turning chisel. A caulking chisel springs to mind, but I'm probably wrong...

I've just looked up caulking chisels and as I suspected - I was wrong!

Fitzroy got it. It's a slick, especially if the bottom has a slight curve across the blade (side to side) and the handle is kicked up a little to allow it to kay flat on the board. Use by timber framers and boat builders. Nice score.

Pete

Ooh! I know! Pleas sir, please sir!

It's a chisel for doing giant kumiko!

(I'll go and stand outside the classroom door now)

Fitzroy got it. It's a slick, especially if the bottom has a slight curve across the blade (side to side) and the handle is kicked up a little to allow it to kay flat on the board. Use by timber framers and boat builders. Nice score.

Pete

looks thin for framing or the usual slick apps -- easy to break in heavy duty use

it's v wide, but I'd guess a pattern-maker's paring chisel - used almost like a plane where plane access might not be poss

lovely thing

Long chisel = Framing.

The Japanese chisels used in timber(and lets face it, all their houses were timber) framing construction are about 600mm long.
So if its a long chisel, its more than likely going to be used in timber house framing.

So you have to ask yourself when that type of thing dropped out from moving from timber framing to brick, stone ect. My thoughts would be last century, for barn construction and the like.

Back