What is a bisgay or disgay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulrbarnard

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
My wife is reading a book and it says
“He took his “bisgay”, a garden tool, and killed him”

A little further down it says
“The axe part of the disgay”

So is there a bisgay or disgay gardening tool that has an axe head as part of it?

Google has been unable to offer anything up.

My wife is reading a book and it says
“He took his “bisgay”, a garden tool, and killed him”

A little further down it says
“The axe part of the disgay”

So is there a bisgay or disgay gardening tool that has an axe head as part of it?

Google has been unable to offer anything up.
Sounds like a garden pick axe; hoe on on side, axe on the other. They come in many shapes and sizes and various names, azada, mattock, etc.
Never heard of a bisgay though!

Nevererdovit! .......... Probably some form of mattock :unsure: Is the book a translation from another language?

A Cornish word for a mattock (hoe on one side, axe on the other) is pronounce vizgy - hereabouts, if someone calls it a mattock they get a strange look.

Maybe a colloquialism then - never knew what a mattock was until I was in my mid-teens, but I was very well acquainted with a vizgy and its uses!

Maybe a colloquialism then - never knew what a mattock was until I was in my mid-teens, but I was very well acquainted with a vizgy and its uses!
I got interested in mattocky things when I saw lots of workers in Portugal hacking away with them happily and discovered that they were called "azadas" which perhaps has same root as "adze".
Bought a couple - they are brilliant alternative to spade and easier to use. There was a UK azada dealer website but couldn't find it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back