• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

what is a bench knife?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

thetyreman

Established Member
Reaction score
I would like to know what a bench knife is? it's mentioned briefly in door making and window making and I've seen a photo on richard arnolds insta account but it's still a little vague on 1. what it is and 2. what it does.

Jonathan S

Established Member
Reaction score
The bench knife I was taught with was flat one side like a chisel or plane iron, its use is to mark shoulders, so the chisel sat in the marked spot, no pencil was used on shoulders.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
I've read the window making book and had the pleasure of discussing the bench knife with Richard.
Take one old fashioned steel table knife, with a thin blade about 12mm wide. Grip about 20mm of it in the vice or pliers and snap it off. That's a bench knife.
To hold a bit of thin section such as a glazing bar, so you can plane it, hammer the knife into the end of the wood and the surface of the bench (or, more likely, the sticking board.)

Simple, no cost and effective. It's firmer than a nail and probably easier to remove. If you don't have any old table knives you could probably use a bit of a hacksaw blade.

thetyreman

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks Andy, makes perfect sense now, I'd imagine it was once a common thing but it's gone out of fashion thesedays.