What ideas have you had for reducing Electricity consumption

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other than getting rid of the kids (I jest) the biggest saving we made was to purchase a new tumble dryer. It's a Samsung AAA rated heat pump one and given it's used daily, the monthy bill is less than £5!

Last edited:
Other than getting rid of the kids (I jest) the biggest saving we made was to purchase a new tumble drier. It's a Samsung AAA rated heat pump one and given it's used daily, the monthy bill is less than £5!
I dry my clothes on the line, no £5 per month. As long as you do not need a specific item of clothing and have enough clothes there are no problems. Even in January and February clothes will dry but you may not be able to wash clothes every week.

I bought an adjustable 7 day timer switch £30 ish had my lecy fit it to the feed of to the combi boiler turn boiler off each evening at 8 and on at 7 next morning object no hunting through the night. Might have to change the off to later when the winter comes.
@Fergie 307 I have been doing this for 20 years since boiler was new. After it was installed I was perplexed to realise there was no way of stopping the DHW temperature being maintained throughout the night. It was just a waste of energy.
The boiler is due to be replaced in a few days because the DHW heat exchanger is furred up causing fluctuating output temperature. It will be interesting to see if the new condensing boiler has a DHW timer.
Brian

I dry my clothes on the line, no £5 per month. As long as you do not need a specific item of clothing and have enough clothes there are no problems. Even in January and February clothes will dry but you may not be able to wash clothes every week.
Agreed, if it can go on the line it does, but with kids that's not always practical. The point being though that a "normal" tumble dryer will cost you anything up to 90p per run at the moment, whereas a decent heat pump version is less than 15p

Agreed, if it can go on the line it does, but with kids that's not always practical. The point being though that a "normal" tumble dryer will cost you anything up to 90p per run at the moment, whereas a decent heat pump version is less than 15p
I have never tried to dry the kids on the line. I think they would object.

Perhaps we need some exchange scheme, your cloths dry whilst up here they will be washed and even blown away but never dried.
Carlisle gets 14.07 days with less than 1mm of rain in January and 11.63 days in February. With 81mm total in January and 69mm in February.

Teignmouth gets 13.13 days and 11.23 days with little rain. And gets 97mm in January and 73 in February.

We get less dry days when we can put our washing out, we also get more rain the rest of the time.

But whilst being dryer up there it is also grimmer. We get about 3 days of air frost against 8.5 day. Plus we get more sun and 65 hours and 87 hours and Carlisle gets 54 and 75 hours.

When it does stop raining down here we do get more sun to dry our washing

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/uk-climate-averages/gcvbs84rvhttps://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/uk-climate-averages/gbvx83wwx

I would agree that heat pump tumble dryers are the best solution if you are forced to dry indoors more than a few times a year. The capital cost is a lot higher but the break even point has changed drastically in the last year.

I was reading somewhere(could have been here..) the other day how leaving the oven door open when you've finished using it would help heat the kitchen.
I'm trying to figure out what people think would happen to that heat if you left the door closed.
If the door is shut the oven will release its heat slowly.

The benefit would be in heating the house rather than the kitchen. If you raise the temperature in the kitchen more of the heat will spread especially if you have the door open if not open plan. If you are going to close the kitchen door and not go in there much again you want the heat out of the oven into the kitchen and out the door.

Slower release and there will be less spread. If you are open plan I would assume that this would be better. You do not want to warm up to above room temperature then feel cold when it falls back. Better slow release back ground heat.

I

I'm trying to figure out what people think would happen to that heat if you left the door closed.
It would dissipate much slower due to the insulation of the oven and so you would not get the same benefits, same amount of heat just released over a longer time frame. Open the door and you get a larger amount of heat but for a shorter time so you feel that heat. On Neff ovens they say not to leave the door open as it heats the panel above.

Like others on here I have led lights I recycle rain water for the washing machine and toilets, I have a 350w pv panel that is grid tied, when the sun is out I batch cook with two slow cookers when possible and freeze down.

Even though the new Induction hob has the same power rating, it cooks/boils everything much quicker, must be a saving there?

They are more efficient, apparently, because they only heat the pan and not the surrounding area. I wouldn't even go back to gas, they're brilliant.
We got ours mainly because of grandchildren safety considerations. Although old person safety is becoming a consideration too.
Might be faster and more efficient than gas, but with the gas/electricity price difference it's probably more expensive.

Back