What Have I Got ....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glossopguy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just acquired and old Sealey lathe (badged) that I was led to believe was an old SM1308. It looks like it when comparing the pictures but mine is ORANGE, not blue. So I ordered a new drive belt and tool tip from Sealey, but this is where I came unstuck. The drive belt is too short. and the tool tip is 3/4" x16tpi where mine is 3/4 " x10tpi This would suggest that it isn't a SM1308

Would anybody out there like to take a flying Guess at what I do have

20210417_104611.jpg
20210417_104643.jpg

probably a nightmare when it comes to trying to get a chuck or faceplate for it!

but welcome to the forum all the same. :)

welcome to the fourm, You could try Machine Mart as it looks very much like one of the offerings in their line up

hth

Thanks guys. I hope to make some contributions in due course. I cant see anything similar on machine mart except the Clark lathe, but that's quite a light weight compared to this. That ones bed is split where as this is a single solid bed

it isnt unknown for the manufacturers to change spec over time but keep the same model numbers, so you may well be right with what you have but it is an older spec.

sealey sl-1000 wood lathe may also be a possibility.

I reckon it's a Naerok lathe.

I have a hunch they make Sealey pillar drills as they are very simalar and therefore lathes....

https://sumra.net/p/2040107000/3866394
I have a pillar drill and it's well made.

I also have a saw at work which when we get it up and running looks similar in quality.

Cheers James

well done Marcros .... Sealey have replied to my email ... they Reckon its a 1990 SL1000...
Now i need to find the spares since Sealy dont have them

any ideas

If it's a V belt, measure around the pulleys (about a third of the way into the adjustment range, don't measure at the minimum, you won't be able to get the belt on) and go to a motor factor. For anything else (inc. if you can't do that) have a look at Drive Belt Solutions: For Quality Replacement Drive Belts - excellent firm, helpful people to deal with.

can we see a pic of the head stock, say end on (along the bed) and at 45 degrees. It looks a bit non standard.

Its definite 3/4"x 10 TPI ... I have just bought a converter from Charnwood, so I can Fit a M3x33 Chuck, and that fits perfectly

Try some of the other makers. All these machines tend to be Chinese and you will find the same machine just with a different paintjob sold by Nu Tool, Sealey, Draper, Clarke etc. I have a Sealey branded pillar drill but they no longer supply parts, Draper sold the same machine, just painted blue instead of red, and they do still sell parts for it. A Google image search will probably do the trick so you can find out what model number another brand gave it.

Got the Drive belt ordered from Drive belt solutions - Thanks' Phil

But the drive tip is proving tricky ....

Ive opened a new thread just for the drive tip in the Lathe Section hoping someone there will have overcome the problem

that is why I asked for the photo. I assume that it has a solid headstock rather than the usual hollow tapered one and so needs a threaded drive centre?

Back