• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

3/4"x10tpi tool post drive tip

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Glossopguy

Reaction score
I have identified My lathe as a Sealy SL1000 (1990) and it has a 3/4"x10tpi drive.

Does anybody out there know where I can get a Drive Tip/ Drive Centre/ Centre Spur (What ever name you call it) ..with that thread

OR

Has Anybody achieved a work round

redhunter350

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there is some info here sealey sl-1000 wood lathe
I have read through it and there seems nothing absolutely definitive for the thread specification?
You need to be sure of thread diameter (3/4” stated) thread form 55* or 60* deg. Pitch in TPI or in millimetres

Glossopguy

Reaction score
Thanks Red' . Ive Read that info ....There is no Doubt that the thread is 3/4"x10tpi. Charnwood have supplied the adapter to convert it to M33x3 to fit a 4 jaw Chuck..
Its Actually 3/4"UNC

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
if you dont get lucky with finding one fairly quickly, I would probably look at a drive centre that will fit into your chuck and bypass the problem. eg ViperDC 4 Prong Drive Centre for Lathe Chucks (not sure whether it is a universal fit, or needs a specific chuck)

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
chasing down obscure threads for accessories can get expensive in terms of time and money.

flh801978

Established Member
Reaction score
Well why don’t you get a drive centre to hold in your chuck?
You may lose a little between centres though
Ian

Sorry just seen Marcos suggested that

Glossopguy

Reaction score
I like the thinking ..... Im not too bothered about loosing some of the length between centres. However ... this would put the point of the drive some distance from the drive bearings. wont that induce Chatter or bearing wear with time

Robbo3

Established Member
Reaction score
You can grip a standard morse taper drive centre in your chuck. Several professional turners do this for speed.

SVB

Established Member
Reaction score
Will your chuck hold this. It is designed for axminster ‘c’jaws but I suspect any jaws of similar size will be ok.

s