What do you do for a living then?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, yes, well - also feeling reluctant without knowing why - another life crossroads approaching shortly? Maybe.

OK............
Left school at 18 with absolutely no idea as to what I wanted to do/be, having spent the previous 7 years playing sport to my hearts content.
The only job offers came for accounting/office admin type roles, so I did that off and on for about 12 years.
Left my first real company after about 4 years, before they 'let me go', cos they were letting everyone go - 3,500 staff to about 1,000 in 15 months I think - all a bit hazy now!
From private to public employer, thinking salvation lay that way. Totally bored, aimless, left after 12 months.
And then the slide/merry-go-round/fun started - still absolutely no idea what to do. Jobs and addresses, 8 or 9 of each in about 3 years - offices, factories, door-to-door, deliveries, etc etc.

Temping, still lost really, back with long-suffering parents by then, and met my partner. Never thought I'd see it, let alone say it, but without her I'd probably still be doing the same aimless wandering stuff.
With her?.....kids (ha!! kids! - youngest is 26 already!!)(but they're still 'the kids' of course!), one company for 10 years then redundant, current company 20 years but I think that's about to finish too - lots of ominous warning signs!

DIY has always been a pleasure, I get a buzz from it. I've been making 'stuff' from day one; from arty bookshelves (planks with bricks!) to Captains' bunks (something of everything in them!). And quite a lot of painting papering plumbing wiring etc etc over the years too.

The wood thing was fired by Grandpa gawd knows how many years ago, I must have been about three I think - making fences for my farm! A few years later I remember we (even now I kid myself it was 'we'!! What a Grandpa!) built a cedar (?) greenhouse one summer - seemed almost as big as the house!
Bought the wood from a house being knocked down about a street away, and carried it home somehow - memory fails me! I think it took us about 20 journeys. Balanced on an old pram?, or bike? Probably - he was a very practical guy! Think I was 8 that year, so he must have been in his late 70's. Hold this, cut that, plane t'other, tenons, pegs, screws - then all the glazing! Smelt of putty for months! Buckets of Red Lead! (? is that a preservative?).
Then further - gently - encouraged by Dad who was far too finicky for a moody teenager who was in a hurry to get bored again, but he never actually said that, just the odd sigh now and then (amazing what you realise looking back?!).

And it really took my taken-for-granted-now stability to give me the time and space to pick up the tools for fun and interest (those earlier years with one income and 3 kids didn't leave much time/money for woody fun!).

And of course a steady income to fund it a bit! Did an OU degree, with the kids help of course, all enjoyed the experiments! Sort of in IT.
And that's what's been paying the bills these last 25 years or so. It gives me quite a lot of satisfaction, but these days it's probably more the people side of it than getting systems right. I know I can do the latter, that's what I get paid for! But it's the pleasure from seeing new users getting what they want from the process.

Never wanted the chairmans job, so just as well I was never offered it!

Funny old game, this life thing. Glad I found out about wood early on though!

I'm another one in IT, working as a system architect/designer. I'm currently working on Galileo (which will be the European equivalent to the GPS system for sat nav).

When I was at school it was either a career in carpentry or a career in IT - I just happened to be better with computers than with wood :(

Cheers,
Martin.

BB wrote
What a fantastic thread this is becoming. However, I feel like a complete caveman compared to all these researchers and scientists!!
makes ,me feel like a neanderthal thug. :oops:
left school in the late 70's took the Queen's schilling [sp] and did a few tours all over the place/A;ways wanted Hong Kong , but in Berlin when last hitch was nearly up. The boss offered it for my next post if I re signed :shock: :? :lol: yeah right after 12 years of green I was a bit wiser and said no thank you Sir!
Since then been a sailor, diver, chef, and of course a carpenter. Now I humble furniture restorer and maker. Low pay, work when ever I need money and try to lilve an alternate lifestyle = ie do not want the latest and newest gadget :lol:

HS back in the UK visiting Mum 8)

Lots of very clever people here! Didn't know I was in such an illustrious company, feel quite humble.

Me, I'm a social worker, before you throw me out, not the sort that takes your kids. I work with adults. Before this I was a psychiatric nurse for 17 years, until they closed the hospital down. Both these occupations are quite abstract. Woodwork is my stress sink. A bit of wood is either bent or straight, there is no in between. Its all down to what you will accept.

My first job on leaving school was for a year in a quality control lab for an animal feed producer. It ended when blew myself up, no real injuries thank goodness. I mixed a potassium salt with picric acid. The clever ones will know that Picric acid is trinitro phenol. (TNT is trinitro toluene, not a lot of difference in the bang factor, only in the stability of the compound.) The boss came to the conclusion I was a liability and I had to agree. That was 40 years ago, I've given up chemistry and grown up a lot.

Lots of very clever people here! Didn't know I was in such an illustrious company, feel quite humble.
I wouldn't say that for an instant, just because it's possible to throw a list of meaningless technical achievments together doesn't mean that you've satisfied yourself, or society. I have just watched my father go into a home until his end and he was cared for by some of the most wonderful people, underpaid and "unqualified" and most respected by me, for doing a job that I am not only unqualified to do but totally incapable of doing.

Sorry just felt I had to say that bit OT or OTT maybe, but there.

Woody Alan":od4ir6ky said:
I have just watched my father go into a home until his end and he was cared for by some of the most wonderful people, underpaid and "unqualified" and most respected by me, for doing a job that I am not only unqualified to do but totally incapable of doing.

Sorry just felt I had to say that bit OT or OTT maybe, but there.

Bless you for saying this. My other half lost his well-paid job in the motor industry a couple of years ago and decided to work in care of the elderly. I couldn't do it, but he loves it. Although he earns far less now than he used to, he says he'd do it voluntarily if it wasn't his job.

It's great to know that the work of people like him is appreciated, if only through gratitude and not money. Of course, he's special to me, but I reckon everyone who does that sort of work is special.

Incidentally, he's working night shifts and simultaneously attending a full-time course which he hopes will get him to university next year. If all goes well, he'll qualify as a RMN in a few years, even though he'll be in his late fifties.

Who says there are no more heroes?

Gill

Good for him Gill. I worked as a psychiatric nurse for 17 years, and loved the job. Only left when they knocked the hospital down. I met some of the nicest people while nursing, most were patient. Tell him from me to keep at it, it's worth all the hard work.

Paul

Here's my two pennarth.

Left school in 1980, went to St Martins art school for Graphic design. Was quite arty I suppose, My mother went to Chealse art school, so i followed in her footsteps.

Did the time but couldnt find a job at the end. MAC's had just appeared and london was looking for the new computer aided designer's.

Got a job in a transport company in Muswell Hill, liked it and decided I could do more.

Took my Class 1 HGV and bought two units and four trailers. Started out on my own and ran haulage for the new development in the Barbican and Canary Wharf.

Did very well until the 80's boom died a death. Sold the lorries off and took a job with Kipling Cakes, driving their lorries after meeting my wife.

Had two lovery kids - settled into domestic servitude.... Got bored

Bought some houses along the way and did them up...

My father, who had worked for Eastern Electricity in Borehamwood decided to take his leave after Hanson took a share in the company, but was told he couldnt leave unless he was prepared to return as a private company do the same work.... He asked me what I thought and I jumped at the chance.

So into business again, Spent 10 years maintaining electrical substations, like little houses in most cases and learned a hell of a lot from the 20 or so staff we employed. We made an obsene (really obsene) amount of money!

Dad wanted to retire in 2002 and we decided to sell off the remaining contracts. Paid off my mortgage and retired at 30 something....

GOT BORED....

Started a little carpentry business after my years of house building and learing from the professional guys I employed.

Now work about 4 days a week, take only work that interests me and am loving it.

Funny how long it takes to get to where you want to be. Must be something to do with this 'rich fabric of life' we weave for ourselves.

As a P.S, my 15 year old daughter is a fantastic artist and spend all her time either drawing, painting but mostly cartooning, either freehand or with adobe CS2 that i bought her. This is what she wants to do. Should she follow that route I wonder, as it never panned out for me or my Mother.

Marky....

i'v been working for about 2 years making rabbit houses, runs, dog houses, bird tables, bird boxes, planters and wishing wells it's a bit boring sometimes but it's working with wood so its ok. and i do woodwork at home as a hobby

BSc Hons in Biology
Trained as a Navigator in the Royal Navy
Left after 4 years - too much looking out of windows at nothing or other ships.

Ended up as trainee accountant at Price Waterhouse (don't ask).
Transferred to Insolvency

Left before I went completely mental and landed on my feet working in marketing in alcoholic drinks. Managed several well known beer brands before moving into drinks innovation - basically inventing new booze for a living. :eek:ccasion5:

Company got taken over by company I'd worked for previously and didn't want to work there again so took cheque and set up furniture making. Been doing it ever since - still enjoying it but we'll see what the future holds.... there's not been a pattern yet so why start now :wink:

Cheers

Tim

boy do i feel in the company of some talented people...however im going to be the odd man out on this one :wink:

grew up in buffalo new york...spend much of my time battling a childhood heart problem. my faith and family got me through. always loved helping dad doing DIY stuff. went to college to study theology and prepair for catholic priesthood. during the summers i worked as a truck driver (thats where i got the nick name 'sparky'...don't ask :oops: ) i graduated college in 03 and joined the Franciscan Friars (kind of like a group of monks). i did some furniture for the friary that i was living in and discovered my passion for woodworking.
dec. of 05 i nearly cut off two fingers with a table saw (i still have them) #-o \:D/ :roll: while i was recovering i did some reading and decided to give the neaderthal way a try...now i am loving hand tooled woodworking as a hobby. it keeps me 'down to earth' :wink:
right now i am back in school doing my final studies for the priesthood as a Franciscan. woodworking is such a great stress release and outlet for creativity...im still doing lots of DIY stuff arround the friary (you'd think a house full of men- priests and brothers- would be a bit more handy with tool/DIY stuff of life) :-s :roll:

so most of my life is more spiritual and ministerial but i love getting into the shop and making some 'fluffy shavings'...also its a bit meditative (ya know Jesus was a carpenter and all =D> O:) :wink: )

well thats about it

thanks
Friar Peter O.F.M. Conv. (AKA sparky)

ps. i really like this discussion

Hi folks,

At age 15, in 1954, I volunteered to go to H.M.S. Ganges, near Ipswich. Nearly broke my spirit. Nearly, but not quite. Thus began ten years of Royal Naval life. I too got fed up of gazing through binocs, at nothing but waves and ships and jumping to it, whenever some young 'snotty' (Midshipman) thought of 'giving me an order'! (not much thought went into the process, considering the things they expected us to do...)

Went into the woodwork trade in 1964, didn't like it. Did all sorts after that for 25 years, being ordered about by all and sundry. I took up woodwork as a release from the boredom of work, and got to enjoy making sawdust. I'm retired now, and make furniture when and as often as I wish. I have a single garage which holds enough tools and machinery to fill three times the space, and like lots of other workers, I have just about enough room to stand at the bench.

Is Happy :lol:

I know I've already had a go, but:

If all the brains, brawn and bravado on this forum got together and started a business I wonder what would happen.

Scarey thought eh?

tim":2rqrjqwq said:
Trained as a Navigator in the Royal Navy
Left after 4 years - too much looking out of windows at nothing or other ships.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Aye, I've heard that from a few people over the years! Been doing it all my working life myself though. I find it quite relaxing really, not that I get a long passage to enjoy any peace and quiet these days!

Merchant Navy for me. Got Cadetship with P&O after getting O Grades but the miserable man there didn't understand my desperation to leave school and sent me back for another year to get a bunch of Highers. Still only 16 when I joined my first ship in Hong Kong though.

Been on container ships, bulk carriers (up to 200000 tonnes - coal & iron ore), LPG tankers (carrying Butane, Propane etc), Refrigerated Cargo ships (bananas).

Pretty much been everywhere in the world ... and seen very little of it!

P&O was flagging out it's Bulk Division in the mid-eighties so it was on to Blue Star Line next and (moving ever further down the quality/pay scale) eventually to "Ropey" Ropner Shipping of Darlington bringing coal and iron ore to the British Steel steelworks (what was left of them).

Having joined the MN in the decline of the eighties I continued to suffer the effects of Mrs T's decimation of the British Merchant Fleet for a while and eventually realised that deep sea wasn't all it was cracked up to be any more so I went into the offshore side of things and here I've been ever since.

Now Captain of an oil rig supply vessel. Been so for the last 10 years. Not a bad little number really. Sometimes the weather is absolutley cr*p and there are some days when you'd happily wring someone's neck but in general I'm pretty much Master of all I survey!

Had to medevac the Chief Engineer on an RAF Rescue helicopter this morning so today isn't one of the better ones of the trip but hey, don't let it get ya down! :D

Cheers

Wrote two computer games whilst still at school.

Did a degree in Electronicand Electrical Engineering

Worked as a software engineer for 12 years

Now work as a hardware engineer for a company who make all the chips that go in your pay tv cards, bank cards and mobile phone sim cards.

I make a box about the size of a PC which emulates the tiny little pieces of silicon that are attached to all those plastic cards you have....go figure :lol:

Trained as a Chartered Accountant, then moved into tax. Now working for a large, international firm of accountants looking after IT projects for the tax practice.

Sadly am a Chartered Accountant too working in acquisitions and Divestitures for a large company. Great job, but for some perverse reason still like all this practical stuff.

One day I will have my own firm doing high quality renovations of period properties to a high level of finish.

DomValente":2psxatdm said:
If all the brains, brawn and bravado on this forum got together and started a business I wonder what would happen.

A few top cabinet makers would have to look to their laurels, for sure! 8)

i've just caught up on 7 pages of reading . good post to start tony .

always felt in good company on this website and i can see why now, so here goes

left school and worked as a chisel sharpener {apprentice joiner} for about 2 years . id been going to "help" my grandad since the age of 6 so it was no wonder that my working life went down the wooded path

joined the army , due the family problems , served four years . the problems never went away , but i didn't have to face the day to day of it all

got married and left the army :D :D

did all sorts of jobs to put food on the table and roof over head
settled down into tanker driving and made the best use of the shiftwork to do self build housing joinery work

working seven days a week in a determined attempt to pay off my mortgage before i was 40 years young, paid its toll . and i gave up the tanker driving as i enjoyed the joinery work much better

continued with the joinery gaining all the relevant qualifications , and am now qualified to manage sites :lol:

having just been made redundant for the third time :cry: from a job that i really loved , finding employment that suits my particular skills was difficult {maybe i'm just too fussy}

am starting work as a shop fitter, for a sub contract company for the firm i used to work for :twisted: :shock:

so far ive no regrets , {except that , ive never built my own house }

we all must do what, we must do
for if we do not do , what we must do
what must be done , doesnt get done
{think ill use that as my signature } :lol:

Back