What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued with the build of my thien separator, made a fence for my bandsaw and continued with the build of my lamp shade

Finished the lamp shade, installed it, hate it. Carried on with my thien separator, and it's coming along really well.

Opened the workshop doors and started seriously questioning my choice of stainless steel as a cathode for electrolysis. Looked up the syptoms for poisoning then left after I realised it was either me not cleaning George foreman enough or actually the fumes. I've free'd up 3 cast iron wheels so far, 1 to go!

Coley

Cleaned up the last of the laminated legs for the bench, then got rained out of it (seriously, a whole week taken as a holiday, I didn't want sun or heat, I just wanted dry and what do I get but four straight days of light to torrential rain, for crying out loud...).

ColeyS1":351hra88 said:
Opened the workshop doors and started seriously questioning my choice of stainless steel as a cathode for electrolysis. Looked up the syptoms for poisoning then left after I realised it was either me not cleaning George foreman enough or actually the fumes. I've free'd up 3 cast iron wheels so far, 1 to go!

Coley

I've a bag of citric acid somewhere left over from when I used to do darkroom printing. Does electrolysis work any better than an acid solution? I have a few tools that need doing.

BearTricks":1i3mm5zq said:
ColeyS1":1i3mm5zq said:

Coley

I've a bag of citric acid somewhere left over from when I used to do darkroom printing. Does electrolysis work any better than an acid solution? I have a few tools that need doing.
I haven't ever tried an acid solution so can't compare. Electrolysis definitely works. I think ideally the tank needs to be outside under shelter just to be safe. The first wheel i left fizzing away for 4 days. The rest of them I've only had them in for 1.5 days, to reduce the possible fumes. If I had a load to do again I'd try and let the wind take away any nastiness.

Coley

Not Technically *My* workshop, but the one I use...

1465694636823.jpg

• Removed the miscellany which seems to gather on flat surfaces,
  • Unbolted the little chop-saw,
  • Moved one of the wall-mounted benches up,
  • Installed a newly refurbished Radial Arm Saw in the larger gap,
    1465694683851.jpg

• Sorted everything which I'd had to move disposing of anything broken and stripped away all extraneous packaging etc.
  • built tight-fitting niches for each plane on the bench.
    1465694664979.jpg

Attachments

• 1465694683851.jpg
    1465694683851.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 1465694664979.jpg
    1465694664979.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 1465694636823.jpg
    1465694636823.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 65
skipdiver":1y3f21ly said:
Nice to see the RAS back in action Jelly. Hope you get much use from it.

Thanks Steve, once the guard-mount was sorted and the control unit replaced (you were right when you thought the switch was knackered) it became apparent that it was in really good mechanical condition, with the motor running all but silently! It's already seen a fair bit of use in its first day...

I spent today helping a friend build some massive chest height saw-horse type trestles to support a rather tongue in cheek "art installation"/elaborate practical joke.

Managed to use some off-cuts to knock up a sturdy but decidedly rough round the edges bookshelf (I've just moved, and don't have nearly enough of them). I'm not exactly proud of it, but the underlying joinery is solid, and I sort of like the form it's taken on.

received_10153930375346743.jpeg

Not bad for 45 mins and some offcuts really.

Attachments

• received_10153930375346743.jpeg
    received_10153930375346743.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 43
Been working on this dovetail plane. I can tell I will need a depth stop
27637583955_e59e3b44a5_b.jpg

27637592785_811fa467c2_b.jpg

Had one of those days today when everything was a struggle and nothing flowed, so i went inside and watched the footy. I love being able to decide when i can work and when i can stop.

The same thing I do every time I enter the workshop.... tided it.

Also set up my new Makita dust extractor and sliced my thumb open on a marking knife.

Finished the thien baffle and then put it to use ripping some huge timber into legs for the nested sofa tables I'm building. I'm still surprised how well the baffle works

Not in my workshop but just outside it... sandblasted my Parkinsons Perfect 15" Vise dating from the 1930s. When I bought it from Gumtree it was seized shut but managed to WD40 it into submission. Sandblasted it back to bare metal and then several coats of rust proof primer ready for it's new two tone paint job either tomorrow weather depending on next weekend.

Tried to post images but not allowed??

Welcome hackery. You can't post pictures until you have made (I think) 5 posts. Could be 10, can't remember offhand.

In the three rain-free hours from the ENTIRE WEEKEND (what the hell weather? Get your act together!), got the last of the boards for the bench top tidied up from RWD to flat on the glue faces. Next weekend if we get a dry day, I'll run the jointer over them and laminate up the top and start in on the aprons and stretchers.

When I went out to bin the trash last night, I realised I had left the light on in the shop,. I went in to remedy the situation and then spent an hour sharpening a couple of planes, and flatting the face of my 'Old-Tools' 1.5" paring chisel. Still some way to go.

Laid 320sq feet of P5 grade chipboard flooring over 1" EPS. Very boring but satisfying nonetheless. Also moved my light and dainty planer thicknesser (all 840lbs of it) into its final position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back