What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent a couple of weeks on holiday in the Dales. Some days it rained a little, some days it rained a lot, but rain it did.

Back home and spent yesterday tidying up my workshop for the start of an order tomorrow, and it's painful watching the sunshine in all it's glory, whilst i'm sweating and covered in sawdust, whilst wearing my airshield.

Anyway, decided to try out Arnold Laver for my next batch of birch ply, which was £85 pounds cheaper on my regular order than the last supplier. It's generally decent but not quite as good quality as the last lot. Looks to be BB grade both sides as opposed to B/BB of the last lot which i think was from Lathams.

Vey bright seaco. glad to see your thinking about bare toe safety i the dark :)

Fitted timber inserts in my 3' and 4' aluminium box section sash clamps for extra rigidity. It's made a huge difference.

John

monkeybiter":3iaan1r1 said:
That table looks good but I'm as interested in your 'fence organiser'. Any chance of some pics? And does the hole mean it slides over to a router table?

Also, is the small piece of wood clamped to the leg on the right for tapering?
Sorry, I missed this comment.

1c664d5ea280b1b4b8173f2d4f8133d7.jpg

It's more of a disorganiser than an organiser! I built it to give me a higher surface fence for the tablesaw, but yes, it also acts as a fence for my router table which I built into the tablesaw top. It's got a cavity where that hole is, and a dust extraction port on top :

19e6a315626a8713495da0b7c9be44aa.jpg

And no - that small piece of wood clamped to the leg is a repair I'm making to the leg. The legs were tapered with a tapering jig :)

I been messing about making a plane blade for a little project. Lots of work but a good learning curve. Ended up tempering it in the oven with a sand heat sink (thank you Ed. :D ) The max oven temp is 250 but got to 300 + temps according to colour charts probs due to the heat sink. I ended up creating a Jedi Plane Blade. Who knew.
c9e40HK.jpg

*makes lightsabre noises in head. Shhhhiiiinggg! Shhiiing! :D

SWMBO liked the compost store gate I made, =D> so I'm going to make one to hide our 5 bins behind. Today I laid out the treated timber
ready to get going, maybe tomoz. :wink:

5 bins? We get 2 around here and one of those we have to pay for to get it. £30 for garden waste and they only collect in spring and summer.

We only have 2 bins. It annoys me that they want us to recycle glass (which I agree with) but won't collect it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had two black bins at our last place, and two green at our current one despite having more bedrooms here, which should mean more people in the house to fill the black bins up, and a much less demanding garden meaning the green bins hardly see any use.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Opened the door; quick eyeball, all in order. Got out the strimmer for the handyman to tidy the lawns. Locked up again, when he'd finished.
Be glad when I can find time to do some work; Some hopes... :(

Big clearout and moved things from large adjustable shelving to shelves that I made that were the right size - big saving in space. Looking much clearer inside.

Gave it all a bit of a tidy ready, hopefully, for a bit of "me" time over the weekend :roll:

Made some practice half-blind dovetails in preparation for drawers on a writing table. Results fairly good but I need to improve a bit more before attempting the real thing.

John

rough turned 3 oak stave shells i glued up during the week. bit out of practice with staves been a whole year since i made my last.

Attachments

• IMG_5214.JPG
    IMG_5214.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_5215.JPG
    IMG_5215.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 195
I made a wall rack to hold my bandsaw fence and Mitre fence, so I don't have to hunt for them each time I remove them.

giantbeat":2ot4mcjw said:
rough turned 3 oak stave shells i glued up during the week. bit out of practice with staves been a whole year since i made my last.

They're cool =D>
Any chance of a WIP next time you make some?
I have a cunning plan

n0legs":ojq5xmv0 said:
giantbeat":ojq5xmv0 said:

They're cool =D>
Any chance of a WIP next time you make some?
I have a cunning plan

Thanks, they are very rough right now, lots of cutter lines but that will be sanded out

im sure i can rustle something up. i have one during pic from my instagram feed.

Attachments

• IMG_5186.JPG
    IMG_5186.JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 149
On Sunday I had to repair the brand new (2 weeks) "never bend" allegedly high quality stainless steel garden border fork that my delightful and lovely wife had managed to bend trying to lever a lump of rock out of the garden. I also had to resharpen her Felco's as once again she had chipped the blade when twisting and cutting at the same time. She has no tool sympathy at all. There is only one of my tools I will give her free access to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back