What cost for European Ash

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starlingwood

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to woodwork and upon embarking on my first proper project of a large workbench I have ordered a load of European Ash buying wondering If I have been slightly ripped off.

I gave them my cut list (below). What would you expect to pay for this quantity of sawn KD European ash?

Item 1 - 6No legs which are 120x120 and 713 high (3 pieces to be laminated).

Item 2 - 2No Leg rails 1060x120x44

Item 3 - 2No Front rails 1110x120x44

Item 4 - 2No Back rails 1110x120x44

Item 5 - 1No Front apron - 2440x200x44

Item 6 - 1No Rear worktop ediging 2440x100x44

Item 7 - 2No Side worktop edging 1132x100x44

Last edited:
In theory you just work out the volume and multiply by say £40 per cuft, then add on a cutting charge and delivery charge. My maths said your cutting list is 4cuft so £160 plus charges. In practice I find it much more hit and miss. I think the difference is that you want boards of a set size, so if the seller is providing these boards at this size they will have cut them from original boards so you’ll likely be charged for the original volume plus labour to cut, at an hours work and machine time to cut this could add £50 plus say 20% wastage will increase the price to £48 per foot so £192 in total adding £82, then delivery of £70 on a pallet. All of a sudden your £160 of timber is costing you £312.

fyi In your cutting list I don’t see and material for the bench top.

Fitz

Hi Fitzroy,

Yea I think I've been had or just gone to the UK's most expensive timber merchants. Ive had a quote of £1400 inc delivery & vat! The top is laminated MDF with valchromat on the surface and they dont do sheet timber.

You've asked them to mill the whole thing up to where all you have to do it cut your joints and assemble.

That's going to cost. It would be way cheaper if you just ordered the cuft of sawn boards and milled yourself ( if at all possible)

But yeah £1400 is shocking. Could be priced to put you off as they don't really want to work :dunno:

You've asked them to mill the whole thing up to where all you have to do it cut your joints and assemble.

That's going to cost. It would be way cheaper if you just ordered the cuft of sawn boards and milled yourself ( if at all possible)

But yeah £1400 is shocking. Could be priced to put you off as they don't really want to work :dunno:

Hi, No I plan to do the planing in house, I've requested sawn boards. They asked for my cutlist so they can select boards that will be suitable to be milled by me to my requirements. The two long boards are probably that need a little extra selecting.

Hi, No I plan to do the planing in house, I've requested sawn boards. They asked for my cutlist so they can select boards that will be suitable to be milled by me to my requirements. The two long boards are probably that need a little extra selecting.
Really,!! Then sounds like they really don't won't the job, shocking quote.

Have you asked for quotes from other merchants?

Have you checked the list of suppliers on the forum front page?
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/uk-ireland-timber-yards-please-add-your-favourites.108370/

Really,!! Then sounds like they really don't won't the job, shocking quote.

Have you asked for quotes from other merchants?

Have you checked the list of suppliers on the forum front page?
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/uk-ireland-timber-yards-please-add-your-favourites.108370/

I am waiting on another quote now. I did a few internet ones over the weekend. I think Timbersource and iwood and coming out much cheaper but I was not sure if I was getting a like for like quote. Yes the merchant I went to was chosen from that list and the second company is too. This forum has been a great source of info and knowledge.

internet prices, where you can insert whatever dimensions you want, tend to come out very expensive.

With a quote of £1400, there has been a misunderstanding somewhere. Even planed and cut to your dimensions that is a huge sum.

And that’s including VAT, that’s a not bad price, I can’t remember what my local Yard charges but it’s within 15%, they do English Ash, but I’ve always used American it’s a timber I get on well with. I wouldn’t hesitate to use it for a bench. Ian
Edit They deliver, you could always ask them for a quote. Somerscales North Lincolnshire, if it were me I would just get a whole pile of 2 inch planks and work it from there.

Well those are some large pieces, but for sawn slabs big enough to get that out I would be thinking a couple hundred, unless the they are providing superb quality at a premium?

who is the supplier?

Aidan

Blimey, I looked up my local yard rate for 2” ash and it’s just under £41 per cuft (ex vat) so lord knows how your supplier is getting onto £300-odd per cuft. Can you cancel the order?

I'm trying to cancel this order but getting a lot of resistance which I understand, they haven't done anything wrong at the end of the day I was naive not to shop around.

I am being advised they have done several hours of work, therefore will accept the cancellation and refund less £250.

Would several hours of work have been carried out selecting and turning over boards for selecting my 4cu ft of waney edge board that I ordered Thursday evening and cancelled Monday morning? They also say there is a charge for refunding me.

I wont say who this is as they are not here to defend themselves.

Is there a particular reason for using Ash? Northern Redwood might be a better option.

John

Ive got this book about workbenches and they used ash so I just got it in my head that I was always using ash for my workbench. Is that a softwood?

I would have used beech for a workbench but.. when i built a large bench i bought from Arnold lavers and it was £250 for steamed beech and i had a lot left over ..that was for legs aprons and a 50mm top
A charge of 250 for cancelling the order seems outrageous unless they have cut boards up for you..
But if they had done that i would be expecting to pay in full

Back