What chuck?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ant-h83

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm currently running a draper wlt 30 lathe with a 4 inch faceplate which has been adequate up until now, I'd like to upgrade to a 4 jaw chuck, now knowing my machine isn't the most powerful would a chuck have any negative affects? Also what chuck would be best? Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming you can get one with a thread to suit your lathe (they only have limited options) I would suggest something lightweight like the Axminster Clubman, either the 80mm or 100mm versions.

Hi Ant, i just started up turning and been saving up my hard earned ,for a axminster clubman, but decided to get the Record Power RP2000 from screwfix for £70, dont think it is as well made as the Axminster but half he price and complete with jaws and screw, i know it is only a mini chuck but doing every thing i ask of it at the moment, my thinking is as i get better and want to do bigger work ,a bigger chuck will be needed, but i will still have the record chuck to do small work. and i managed to buy a couple of good turning chisels, with what i saved, if money no option i would of gone for the clubman 100 straight off , but needs must

Depends if you see yourself 'getting the bug' and updrafijg lathe in future or if your happy the current lathe does all you want as your mainly a cabinetmaker / scrollsawer / carver etc.

If the former, I'd suggest going for an axminster unit as the jaws are cross compatible if / when you upgrade. If the latter then one if the many other units may be fine.

S

Thanks for the replies, iv been turning for around two years now and I turn a lot of green wood/ rough blanks so I imagine the Axminster would be the safer bet, my lathe is 3/4 x 16tpi, the record power one will fit but iv looked on the Axminster site and can't find the thread size on there?

Ant-h83":r00t6hd0 said:
Thanks for the replies, iv been turning for around two years now and I turn a lot of green wood/ rough blanks so I imagine the Axminster would be the safer bet, my lathe is 3/4 x 16tpi, the record power one will fit but iv looked on the Axminster site and can't find the thread size on there?

Thread sizes are in the options drop down listings
Ashampoo_Snap_2017.08.11_23h57m47s_001_.jpg

Attachments

• Ashampoo_Snap_2017.08.11_23h57m47s_001_.jpg
    Ashampoo_Snap_2017.08.11_23h57m47s_001_.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 958
If you are likely to upgrade your lathe in the future think about the upgrade options on the chuck you get now. The Axminster chucks are fantastic chucks but they are now direct threaded and should you upgrade you will have to buy a new chuck body. A better option would be to go for the Record SC4 as it's the only one I am aware of that allows for an upgrade to a M33 thread with an £15 insert - M33 because that is almost guaranteed to be the thread size on a lathe upgrade. It's the same chuck as a Sorby Patriot and the Nova but both of these don't offer a M33 insert; you have to buy another chuck body direct threaded. The only other option is a versa chuck from Toolpost which is similar of the old Axminster Super Precision chuck with interchangeable back plate.

Really appreciate the help, I think il wait 6 months and see how I feel about the lathe, unless of course something comes up cheap enough on eBay, I wouldn't mind an upgrade now but I'm lacking in money and space, thanks again everyone :)

Back