Chuck?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For wheels you are spoilt for choice anywhere off Amazon/Ebay. Used for roller skates , mine in this pick are 64mm x 24mm

Attachments

• 20230809_151659 - Copy.jpg
    20230809_151659 - Copy.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
That's an excellent job, where did you get the wheels?

I remember when starting out being told not to use augers on the lathe as they would pull in to the wood too fast. Guess it may have been an old wives tale after all, or maybe less of a problem in end grain
No, it's correct. Standard augers will pull in far too quickly for most lathes, whose speed can't be turned down really slow. I tried one once. Once.

No, it's correct. Standard augers will pull in far too quickly for most lathes, whose speed can't be turned down really slow. I tried one once. Once.
I didn't find it a problem and I don't see how it can be on a lathe.

The wood is held in the headstock chuck, and the auger bit is in the tailstock chuck. Hence the auger can only progress into the timber at the rate at which the tailstock chuck is advanced, and that's under the control of the operator. I've done it many times and it's never been a problem for me. That said, when I want to drill a hole which is maybe no more than 7.5 cms (three inches) deep, I'd use a Forstner bit.

I did it once. The lead screw must have been better than yours as when it grabbed it gave the tailstock an almighty yank.
I suppose if you limit it's travel by restraining the advance the lead screw might just strip the end grain in its hole and make no difference, though, in which case it'd just as well not be there. I don't feel any inclination to try it again.

I drill the holes for a set of lamps using a temporary perfectly leveled and squared table attached to my lathe bed.

Attachments

• 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 0
Back