what biscuit jointers do you use?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mafell LNF20 (or the Milwaukee/AEG equivalent which uses rthe same Mafell-made front end), especially as Mafell now offer a resin pocket cutter kit for the machine. Why? Because the turret depth stop (rather like that on a router) is a brilliant piece of design. Well nailed together, robust and accurate, too

Alternatively I'd also recommend the deWalt DW685 - the swing blade might seem a bit odd, but it does mean that the machine will serve as a door trimmer, carcass back groover (3.2mm MDF/hardboard will slide neatly in a 4mm slot and the fence means that a parallel groove is a doddle), edge trimmer on 12mm planking, etc. So a very versatile machine all round.

Scrit

I am replacing an ELU ds140 pivot jointer-same as the deWalt DW685.
mine is not cutting parallel to the side of the machine.
I have striped it down and there is no visible wear and the thing is still cutting half a mill out of parallel on a no 20 biscuit.
I want to change to a plunge type, they are more suitable to my needs.

Whatever machine you get, just be careful if you buy a swing in type.
These can sometimes ride back along the work. Seen someones thumb severed by this type. best advice is to keep two hands on the machine.

I agree with scrit, for precision and accurracy I don,t think you can beat the Lamello.
When glueing up panels I used to need a lot of belt sanding to get them smooth, with the lamello I usually just give them a quick go over with the orbital to finish them.
Not cheap but in this case I think you do get what you pay for.

Cheers
Julian

JPEC":3k3blcni said:
I agree with scrit, for precision and accurracy I don,t think you can beat the Lamello.
I've read Scrit's post three times now (not a pleasant experience, but hey, I suffer willingly in the cause of truth 'n' justice :wink: ) and he doesn't say anything about the Lamello at all. :?

Looks to me as this might as well turn into a "Forum Users' Biscuit Jointers" thread, 'cos everyone's recommending the one they own. :lol: In which spirit - The Porter Cable has some features in its favour...

Cheers, Alf

allan w":22tmx7ji said:
mine is not cutting parallel to the side of the machine.
I have striped it down and there is no visible wear and the thing is still cutting half a mill out of parallel on a no 20 biscuit.

Just a thought - has it always done this or just started? If it's just started, could it be the blade's knackered?

Paul

Alf":hog3li3y said:
JPEC":hog3li3y said:
I agree with Scrit, for precision and accurracy I don't think you can beat the Lamello.
I've read Scrit's post three times now (not a pleasant experience, but hey, I suffer willingly in the cause of truth 'n' justice :wink: ) and he doesn't say anything about the Lamello at all. :?
You cheeky so and so! :wink: I've looked longingly at the Lamellos for some 20 odd years now and I still conclude that they are extremely expensive and therefore I simply can't justify the cost. Yes, they're nice, but...... That's why I bought the old Elu DS140 (DW685) back in the year dot (around 1980) - they were about the only alternative to the Lamello then and the swing blade design probably comes from a bit of patent dodging. Mine still cuts square, so I'd also ask the question, "what state is your blade in?"

As to recommending others, before I bought my Mafell I begged or borrowed the following (with conclusions):-

Bosch swing blade (sorry, don't know the number) - a bit lightweight in comparison to the DS140. I didn't think it would stay the course

Virutex AB11C (borrowed from a colleague for a few days) - OK but nothing remarkable. At least it has the swing fence, but it costs more than the Mafell and most others on the market so I don't think it's worth it.

Freud JS100 - OK machine at a good price, but lacks a swing fence - for that you need the newer JS102.

Makita 3901 - a well made machine at a very acceptable price. Swing fence type and one of the few machines which hire shops will touch, which may bode well for longevity. I hired one of these before going Mafell and the Mafell pipped it at the post because the Makita is a larger (actually longer) machine and it lacks the depth stop turret of the Mafell. Probably my next choice after the Mafell/Milwaukee.

deWalt DW682 - good on paper with a swing fence, but I'd be concerned over the quality of that fence (the racking problem - my local DW dealer seems to get one or two a month in for repair suffering this problem). I'm also starting to feel that some of DWs products are no longer being produced up to a standard, rather down to a price these days.

Porter-Cable 557 - P-C throw-in a 2in blade for face frames, but that big hole in the front still makes me wary. Didn't like it when I tried it - it seemed a bit big and clumsy to me, but that's just personal choice. The other downside is that P-C seem to use an American size arbor (7/8in instead of the 22mm everyone else uses) - significant if you want to go to a replaceable-tip blade

Lamello Classic C3 - stripped-down Lamello to get the price down. Has everything you need except the micro blade adjustment of the Top 20S (incidentally the DS140 is the only other biscuit jointer to have this facility and was there nearly 20 years before Lamello introduced the feature). The Lamellos have an L-plate in addition to the swing fence which makes cutting mitre joint biscuit slots so much easier, although it is fairly simple to make-up a wooden block th do this yourself. I wasn't happy with the finish of the machine, though, sort of like a Rolls-Royce delivered without any paint!

Mafell LNF20 - another swing fence design. Like the Lamellos a pitch pocket cutter is available for this machine (something only Lamello and Mafell seems to do). Well made (as Mafell stuff seems to be) and with the plus point of having a depth stop turret rather like a router, a unique feature (see here and follow the link for LNF20). If you need this facility for joining difffernt thickness stuff, then it's a godsend - however not everyone needs it..... Street price around £200 or so

Milwaukee PJ710 (previously also sold as Atlas-Copco and AEG LF650) - the AEG/Milwaukee group buy-in the front end from Mafell and fit their own motor/gearbox, so a generally very similar machine (I believe Mafell use a Metabo motor similar to the Lamellos). Same comments apply as to the Mafell

I've had a look at the lower end stuff like the Ferm and SIP and I doubt that they'll make double figures in years - they're good for the money, but I'm dubious about their longevity or accuracy long term

My ideal machine would be an LNF20 or Milwaukee fitted with the fine adjuster from the Lamello Top 20 - dream on......

.... and I'd still keep the Ds140 for other stuff.

Scrit

Scrit":2ctfx2hg said:
(incidentally the DS140 is the only other biscuit jointer to have this facility and was there nearly 20 years before Lamello introduced the feature).

I've found this a really good feature of the Elu DS140 and use it extensively. It's one of the reasons I like the machine so much - pity more manufacturers don't incorporate the feature in their designs.

Paul

Scrit,

Bosch swing blade (sorry, don't know the number) - a bit lightweight in comparison to the DS140. I didn't think it would stay the course

Do you mean the Bosch GFF 22A? http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/1/prod ... -22178.htm or the Bosch GUF 22A?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOSCH-GUF-4-22A-B ... dZViewItem

Because if it is the first one I beg to differ. I have owned this model for a number of years and it is as good now as it was when I first used it, and if it went to power tool heaven I would certainly think about replacing it with the same model.
That said our needs may be a lot different.

Cheers

Mike

:oops: :oops: :oops:
My apologies to you Scrit, I read your post quickly and saw Lamello instead of Mafell :roll:
I stand by my previous post on the Lamello's acurracy though, all the others I looked at had, to a greater or lesser degree, some play in the plunge action. The Lamello had none at all.
I got mine complete with 1000 no.20's ,Lamello glue dispenser and systainer storage box for £300. Not cheap but worth the money.

Cheers

Julian

Mike.C":puowl092 said:
I meant the swing type - the GUF 4-22A. If you notice the quadrant on those it is stamped steel. In my experience stamped stuff never seems as durable as alloy castings and is generally not as accurate (certainly the case if you look at circular saws). As by that time a long-time user of the DS140 (which has a cast alloy base) I felt I was in a good position to compare.

Scrit

by the way its a DS 140 Iam seeking to replace.

Will post photos of the problem if youre interested.

I recently bought a Freud JS102, after reading the reviews of it and the almost identical Trend machine on this site. I haven't used it for anything critical yet, but my first impressions are that it is well made and accurate. I think it lacks fine adjustment of the fence that you get with more expensive models, but for home/diy use it seems to be an ideal mix of quality and price.

Back