What are these screws?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BearTricks

Established Member
Reaction score
They were used to screw the drawer knobs on to a sideboard I recently finished restoring.

A smarter man would have screwed them back in to the knobs for safe keeping, instead they migrated between coat and jeans pockets for six months until I put them in a safe place. I finally finished assembling the sideboard this morning, went to my safe place and two of them had vanished.

I'm hoping they're a standard screw and not something silly. The sideboard is mid century I think. I got it for a fiver because some silly person had a go at refurbishing it before me and ended up slapping a badly cut piece of plywood on top and painting it neon green. The knobs at least look original.

f9a961f469ce72457ffaf81c60e89ab7.jpg

0dc9bf5b0729a8a9796d5910ae742a0b.jpg

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

1/4" Whit. Pretty common, and still used a lot over the Pond. Sensible thread, too.

How long do they need to be (measure from under the head to the end, and in inches! ) ?

I probably have some with hex ends (hacksaw your own slots!). If you have a lathe you might even dome them off yourself.

Other thing is recourse to any long-established ironmonger. They can still be found, but they're becoming rare.*

E.

*both.

Careful before ordering 1/4 whit screws. Knobs and handles normally use 3/16 whitworth.

Simple measure the od and expect them to be a bit under the nominal size.

When you have decided what you want look on Ebay for GWR Fastenings Ebay shop. They have hundereds of items in small quantities, cheap and free delivery.

Regards -----Arnold

Figured out what they are, I think. They're 3/16" x 13/16" flange head whitworths. There are a couple of sellers on eBay.

I've placed a bid but I'll have a rifle through my odds and ends drawers too but If anything they've probably taken a trip through the dog.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back