What are these metal pins called (Dissasembling my Kity 636 for restoration)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know why you are so quick to dismiss @XTiffy's comment. There are plenty of examples in this thread, and others on UKW, where names for the same item vary by geography. Does that mean all but one are wrong?
I suspect that you have mis-understood my comment. I was mearly pointing out that the pin I referenced was a PARALLEL Pin rather than a TAPERED Pin as @XTiffy had incorrectly stated.

The only convention we in the RN used that upset them was U/S to mean un-serviceable.

I don't know why anyone in the U.S. military would be upset because U/S is "un-serviceable". 😛 We have the same condition code in the Army, but just use "U".

Years ago, one of my friends, a young Major, was on a six-month exchange assignment with one of the Signals Regiments, and we had one of theirs. When their time was up, the Major was shocked to see that the Regimental Commander had given him a glowing report, which ended with "until relieved of duty." This report became part of his Officer Evaluation Report and had to be annotated with a special notice of "UK Assignment" so the promotion boards would not react negatively to it. In the U.S. military, "relieved of duty" or "relieved of command" are very bad and are normally career ending statements. He eventually retired as a Brigadier General.

I suspect that you have mis-understood my comment. I was mearly pointing out that the pin I referenced was a PARALLEL Pin rather than a TAPERED Pin as @XTiffy had incorrectly stated.

Pedantry is as boring as it is unattractive in a person, it is certainly not amusing;
Just saying ....

Last edited:
Pedantry is as boring as it is unattractive in a person, it is certainly not amusing;
Just saying ....
I'd sooner be a pedant than a comic - and I couldn't care less if anyone considers that boring. Facts are always worth maintaining, it is too easy to become sloppy with language and that will only lead to inaccuracy which I find an anathma.

These differences can often be clarified by a brief description. So in this case it is a roll pin, and if you look at the end you will see that it is a rolled strip of steel, like a swiss roll, and is of a uniform diameter. You will never see this design in a taper pin. There will inevitably be differences in terminology, hood, bonnet, trunk, boot, tyre, tire. No need for anyone to get excited about them. I often buy Jeep stuff from the states, and its a lot easier if you take the trouble to find the local terms and use them. So for example they call an anti roll bar a sway bar, so I have just ordered some front sway bar bushes, rather than cause confusion.

Probably worth pointing out that the more modern design is a tube, split along its length. The split is open when they are not in use, and closes up when they are driven in. As far as I am concerned both are roll pins, the important thing being they are hollow, and I have never seen a hollow taper pin. The mirror on a stick type tool is invaluable here, if you can get a look at the end of the pin and its hollow, then its going to be a roll pin, or whatever you choose to call it.

I'm 69, from darkest Cornwall. I've always called what the Americans called cotter pins ........... cotter pins.:LOL:
At 77 & having served an engineering apprenticeship working in the maintenance shop of a factory, I've always known them as split pins, cotter pins were used on bikes {pedal cranks}.

I didn't realize a turnip was also called a swede until last night when I watched Taskmaster. The contestants had to balance as many turnips on a volunteer Swede as they could.
Swedes, turips,& mangelwurzers are THREE different species, at least in Europe. I believe.

As far as I am aware a Swede has always been a Swede and a turnip is a turnip. I like swedes but dislike turnips which are smaller and pinkish but did form a large part of the war diet apparently.

Thinking of a cotter pin, these are what used to hold the pedals onto the shaft of a bicycle in UK terminology.

View attachment 150712

Attachments

• 1673181100482.png
    1673181100482.png
    60 KB · Views: 0
The original post was "I need to remove two of these small cylindrical hollow pins. Does anyone happen to know their names such that I can look them up as to how to remove! He lists his location as England. In my engineering apprenticeship they were "roll pins", split pins were a bent pin with two legs (often odd lengths to aid bending round) and a cotter pin was exactly what spectric has just illustrated. Interesting to know regional or geographical alternative names, but a bit "off message".

All he needed was a small pin punch, then just knock out the roll pins, the secret being to use a punch large enough not to try and go down the hole but not to large so it jams in the shaft.

These differences can often be clarified by a brief description. So in this case it is a roll pin, and if you look at the end you will see that it is a rolled strip of steel, like a swiss roll, and is of a uniform diameter.
Not only that, but is likely to be very hard, possibly spring steel. The OP will have a job to damage in normal use.

Latest posts

Back