What are these metal pins called (Dissasembling my Kity 636 for restoration)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's worthwhile to buy a budget set of parallel punches. Under a tenner from screwfix or get "silverline" brand or whatever.
They are a consumable. Sometimes you need to beat on them so the end can start to mushroom. Just dress the end on the grinder as need be.
If you use them to the point where the skinnier punches begin to bend, hammer them straightish and buy a second set to keep for "best" :)

I'd also advise wearing eye protection when using punches - some in my experience can be over-hardened and will shatter quite spectacularly if you are giving it a bit of welly to shift a recalcitrant pin..

Buy the punch set.

But not the Screwfix one. Cheap pin punches just produce tears and frustration. The minimum I would buy is Sealey, but Kennedy from Zoro and anything from RS would do.

Not only do they mushroom ike a damp forest, they bend because they are too long for their diameter.

----

Just for the record, I offer two ways that I have been told are preferred:

1) start the pin moving with a short parallel punch (e.g. Clarke ET101 8-Piece Short Drive/Pin Punch Set - Machine Mart - Machine Mart) and then drive it out the rest of the way with a long parallel punch (at this stage, the Screwfix one would be OK). The short punch has less inclination to bend.

2) use a proper roll pin punch - see how the end is a different shape (Roll Pin Punch Set 9pc 3-12mm Metric | AK9109M | 1 Year Guarantee | Sealey

---

The key point is that the force needed to break the pin loose is a lot greater than that needed once it has moved a little. Once the initial movement is seen, almost anything can be used to finish the extraction.

So I am in the process of taking my kity 636 to bits to restore it. I am trying to remove the outfeed table, however to remove the bolts holding it on, I must dissasemble the swing up mechanism to allow room for the bolts passage.

To take the main pin out of the swing mechanism I need to remove two of these small cylindrical hollow pins. Does anyone happen to know their names such that I can look them up as to how to remove!

Many Thanks,

Sam
I think they are called Split Sping Pins available on EBay

Usually such pins (IME) are tapered and not hollow. Looking at the size of that spring, you’re going to have fun trying to get it back in. I would be very careful with it, make sure that you trying to get it out in the right direction, and the hole through the middle is probably to make it easier to reinsert using a simple tool. It’s easy to imagine what the tool would look like, a long, cylindrical tine, with a collar.

I could be totally wrong, of course, but I have taken apart and put back together a fair number of vintage machines, so I might be right

start the pin moving with a short parallel punch

The key point is that the force needed to break the pin loose is a lot greater than that needed once it has moved a little. Once the initial movement is seen, almost anything can be used to finish the extraction.
:)
When you've bent your cheap set, snip the ends off with an angle grinder and give them a new lease of life as a set of short punches ...

It's excellent advice though, esp for the smaller sizes, thanks 👍

Usually such pins (IME) are tapered and not hollow. Looking at the size of that spring, you’re going to have fun trying to get it back in. I would be very careful with it, make sure that you trying to get it out in the right direction, and the hole through the middle is probably to make it easier to reinsert using a simple tool. It’s easy to imagine what the tool would look like, a long, cylindrical tine, with a collar.

I could be totally wrong, of course, but I have taken apart and put back together a fair number of vintage machines, so I might be right
There are other types of Pin used in machine assembly and one of them is a 'Taper Pin'.

These come in various sizes and you need the appropriare 'Taper Pin Reamer' to prepare the hole to take them. This is (was?) left to the 'Fitting Shop' to determine exactly how deep they should be. As usual the Imperial sizes are 1:48 taper whereas Metric are 1:50 so the same Reamer cannot be used for both. :unsure:

I don't need to. If Amazon sellers say any different - they are WRONG!

I've known what a cotter pin looks like since I repaired my first bike, sometime in the 50's
I've always known those as Raleigh cotter pins, but never as just "cotter pins". Farmers where I grew also referred to lynch pins as cotter pins. Context was important, and I had to know what they were doing in order to fetch the correct cotter pin.

My late uncle referred to any item that could be pushed into a hole to keep something in place as a cotter pin. His cotter pins were often nails, pieces of wire, or sometimes even a real cotter pin.

I've always known those as Raleigh cotter pins, but never as just "cotter pins". Farmers where I grew also referred to lynch pins as cotter pins. Context was important, and I had to know what they were doing in order to fetch the correct cotter pin.

My late uncle referred to any item that could be pushed into a hole to keep something in place as a cotter pin. His cotter pins were often nails, pieces of wire, or sometimes even a real cotter pin.
Whilst I agree that context is important, and I do know that 'Chinese Whispers' rule when specific information about components is passed from 'master' to 'pupil', being a pedant I try to correct the most obvious erronious nomenclature. It's too easy to simply accept "This is called a [. . whatever . .] " without questioning the veracity of the assertion.

Whilst I agree that context is important, and I do know that 'Chinese Whispers' rule when specific information about components is passed from 'master' to 'pupil', being a pedant I try to correct the most obvious erronious nomenclature. It's too easy to simply accept "This is called a [. . whatever . .] " without questioning the veracity of the assertion.
I will defer to your vastly superior knowledge of all things related to the UK.

It's too easy to simply accept "This is called a [. . whatever . .] " without questioning the veracity of the assertion.
Don't be harsh :) What 9 year old hanging around their dad's workshop is going to do that ?
We learn a ton of stuff before we discover that sometimes the name we first learnt is wrong or alternative !
Where I came from, if you wanted a swede, you asked for a turnip :)

Back