What a revelation.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knappers

Established Member
Reaction score
You may remember (probably not) my appeal the other day for a hand plane.. Previously I had been making projects pretty much exclusively with power tools / machines, and decided its about time I joined the slippery slope. It had always had a bit of a battle with hand planes in the past, so i wanted to move on and try to achieve what I knew should be possible after reading posts here.
I just bought a tweaked, used V1 Quangsheng No.5 and a Scary Sharp kit from Matthew at WH and tonight had a bit of a play.
Wow!! Straight out of the box (already honed), the QS was capable of far more than I have been able to achieve before. I then decided to give the blade in my wee Rutlands QS LA Block plane a bit of a sharpen. Double wow - I was able to produce consistent shavings of just over 1 thou thick. I had been quite disappointed with this little fella previously.

e075a480.jpg

I have spent the last couple of nights watching some of David Charlesworth's videos, and would thoroughly recommend them to anyone looking to improve their skills and hand plane results.

My intention is to pick up and restore a couple of old Stanley / Records as well... In fact, I was having so much fun in the workshop tonight, I forgot to bid on a nice little no.4 on eBay - it went for 99p (B*gger).

So, I am now firmly on the slope - I will be looking around for old planes to bring back to life, and also regrind and fettle the old chisels I have inherited from my grandfather. Bring it on!!!

Si.

knapprs...welcome to the Dark Side:)..it is a whole lot of fun...so relax...take a deep breath or two..and enjoy
Brian

Well done that man!

Welcome to the world of quiet, meditative woodworking. Much more fun than machine tending!

Oooh-err mister...whatcha done? :lol: :lol: Enjoy the slope and don't expect to get off any time soon! :lol: - Rob

Latest posts

Back