Well Done Robert Sorby

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncan A

Established Member
Reaction score
Amidst the regular stories of bad support from manufacturers and suppliers there are sometimes good reports - and this is one such.

A pinion tooth in my just over one year old Patriot chuck broke off; don't know why, I'm not usually THAT heavy handed and my other, older, Patriot has given no trouble at all. I emailed Sorby at the weekend and got a reply first thing on Monday morning, with instructions on how to fit the pinions, and asking if I thought I would be able to do it myself. I replied in the affirmative and two FOC pinions arrived this morning, Tuesday. This really couldn't have been any faster and there were none of the usual daft questions about "what were you doing at the time - excellent service from a British company.

As a bonus a couple of small freebies were included in the package, which was a very kind gesture from the gent I dealt with. I haven't named him in case he gets inundated with scrounging emails (not from members of this forum of course) but service like this does lead to repeat business and so many other suppliers would do well to learn that a little goodwill goes a long way.

Duncan

I had not got any sorby bits until a month ago when I bought a used carving vice on the forum and was very impressed with the quality- it is a solid piece of kit and you could not wish for more. I have since bought a proedge and again it is a very high quality item, well designed and manufactured.

Whilst this says nothing of the customer services, it speaks very highly of the company as a whole.

Good customer service is very important to me. I have never dealt with Sorby, but that is one for my future list as long as they don't use shady couriers.
I can also recommend Peter Hemsley's ToolPost for above and beyond the call of duty customer service. After my recent shambolic experience with Axminster's pathetic excuse for customer support, I had reason to make a return online visit to the ToolPost - and communication was like night and day, even over the ne'erday holidays.
When I bought my Versa-Chuck a few years back Peter actually did himself out of a sale by advising me I didn't need some things I was ordering. And of course he was right.
Some things might be a pound more, which is important when your budget is very tight - but when you get service like that, it is worth more than money.

Tazmaniandevil":2qw182x3 said:
...After my recent shambolic experience with Axminster's pathetic excuse for customer support...
One can only speak as one finds but my experience of Axminster support has been first class.

I bought a Dremel 4000 Kit about 3 years ago and sometime in the summer of 2014 it simply wouldn't switch on. When I checked the purchase date I discovered that it was still in warrantee so I returned it and a week later I had a brand new unit with extra accessories including a flexible drive shaft.

J-G":2j2l5lyo said:
One can only speak as one finds but my experience of Axminster support has been first class.
Indeed. I'm glad you had a good experience, and I know many others have had similar experiences.
A company is only as good as the service they provide IMHO, and repeat business is based on this. I know that the >£1k I spent in the preceding 10 months or so is chicken feed to a box shifter of this magnitude, but it is an awful lot of money to me.
My case was "handled" by their customer services manager, allegedly. I previously had dealings with a chap who was very professional, but his actions were over-ruled by this "manager" and the entire experience spiraled down into an unmitigated disaster. The matter was actually resolved until this so-called manager intervened.

I had the exact same issue with my works patriot chuck and it is also about a year old. Phoned Sorby, got a nice chap on the phone who explained there had been a duff batch of pinions and would send a replacement and two days later it arrived! Easy things to fit and haven't bad trouble since.

Tazmaniandevil":zq165ua2 said:
Good customer service is very important to me. I have never dealt with Sorby, but that is one for my future list as long as they don't use shady couriers.
I can also recommend Peter Hemsley's ToolPost for above and beyond the call of duty customer service. After my recent shambolic experience with Axminster's pathetic excuse for customer support, I had reason to make a return online visit to the ToolPost - and communication was like night and day, even over the ne'erday holidays.
When I bought my Versa-Chuck a few years back Peter actually did himself out of a sale by advising me I didn't need some things I was ordering. And of course he was right.
Some things might be a pound more, which is important when your budget is very tight - but when you get service like that, it is worth more than money.

Agreed ! Peter will do himself out of a sale rather than let you go away with something in appropriate.

midnightlunchbox":1ph0jjn7 said:
I had the exact same issue with my works patriot chuck and it is also about a year old. Phoned Sorby, got a nice chap on the phone who explained there had been a duff batch of pinions and would send a replacement and two days later it arrived! Easy things to fit and haven't bad trouble since.

Interesting - I emailed Sorby so wasn't aware that there's been a batch of faulty pinions, but it is reassuring to know that it is not likely to occur on my other chuck, which is quite a bit older and undoubtedly a different batch.

Duncan

I got sent a dodgy bent chisel by tilgear and rang sorby they sent me a new one and a free 50mm chisel

very good customer service!

adidat

Latest posts

Back