Axminster: it's happened again...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
... but I think I should mention this, having noticed other discussions recently about other suppliers.

I am a small customer. I will probably always be a small customer. Of recent years I haven't had much cause to buy anything from Axminster, but in the last couple of months I have placed a few small-ish orders, as I have a DIY project going on.

One was for an accessory for a product they sell. They don't usually keep that specific part, but were happy to special-order it for me, at a pretty competitive price. It's an awkward size and shape, and arrived faulty (but not damaged in transit). I only realised the problem after a couple of head-scratching weeks of use (not all the time!); I called and explained, resulting in an RMA with no quibble at all, and a helpful agreement about returning the item at a time to suit me so I can get a replacement (the fault affects accuracy, and right now I can work around the issue, until the current job is completed).

The second thing was stupidly trivial, and entirely my fault: I placed an order online on Tuesday, around lunchtime, carefully organised to be just over fifty quid, so as to get free postage. Half an hour later I realised I'd forgotten something important. So I rang them. Could they intercept the order and add something - the lass on the 'phone said she'd try for me. Was called back half an hour later: all OK, could she take payment now? All sorted...

... but the following day the consignment arrived via DPD, with my extra item not included. Woe!

However, I hadn't even finished sorting through the box, when the postman rang the bell with the usual bundle of letters, including a padded bag from Axminster. You can guess what it was. And they didn't charge me postage, which they quite reasonably could have done.

My point: in both cases, they didn't have to do what they did, by which I mean be very helpful. OK, I'm quite within my rights to return a faulty item, but the point here is that they've allowed me to finish the job I'm doing without prompting a crisis (in both instances - I urgently needed the bits I bought earlier in the week, too!).

They really don't get a lot of business from me, but I do get consistently excellent customer service from them, and have done over many years.

What's that worth to me? Quite a lot actually.

Just sayin'...

E.

Know where you're coming from Erik, have found Axi to be top notch re customer service

They do go the extra mile in my experience. I complained about the delay on a collet chuck I'd ordered and when it arrived a few days later they had included a free spanner with it. Good service is worth a lot.

I find them a joy to deal with and what's more I have found that they will publish negative product reviews on their website unedited.

+1 for all the above positive comments re Axi service. Sometimes not the cheapest, and IMHO the "new" web site is absolutely and "direly" (is that a word?) awful. And I'm not trying to start another "Yes it is/No it isn't" argument about their web site either. But just like ETV I'm a small, hobby/DIY/occasional customer and they always go the extra mile for me - and yes, IMHO, that service IS worth a sometimes extra cost, especially when I'm not located just around the corner from one of their stores. And their telephone ladies are brilliant!

AES

Another huge fan of their service. They are the only retailer I put in the same bracket as John Lewis, the highest possible praise from me. You can buy with absolute and total confidence, if something goes wrong it will get sorted, no qualms, no quibbles, just sorted.

I too am a small customer, but, I am looking at buying a planer thicknesser in the near future and will seriously consider buying from Axminster, because as somebody said to me the other day "it is a no risk purchase".

Terry.

I agree with you there Eric. I'm a very very small customer, but a regular customer. Fast, reliable delivery and their customer service is excellent.

The only rant I ever have about Axminster is things never being in stock.

I'm maybe just been unlucky with them.

Jonny

Years ago, think they only had the one branch, I went to a show they put on in Somerset. Brilliant had a great day out, their offers of course but the interesting thing for me was the demos.

Wished they would do it again.

Because it's on my door step and the staff are great I do use Screwfix a lot, went to their Screwfix live show, there about an hour and most of that was getting to and from the car. Waste of time.

Roy

Impressive delivery timescales, order placed yesterday at 3pm with me thinking it would be delivered on Friday when I'll be in and they attempted delivery today at 11am. Yes, I could have checked their site for cutoff times but they do have their delivery logistics sorted out, it must be said.

Thankfully the courier will try again tomorrow . . .

It's this kind of behaviour that really annoys me about Axminster.

I mean, with other sites if a good deal pops up in my inbox I can almost always find a reason not to buy it - shipping costs too much, or it'll take too long to arrive, or I don't trust their customer service team if something goes wrong... Rutlands is excellent for that. It takes a REALLY good deal for me to buy from that site. It's perfect!

But Axminster? No. There's just no darned defence. I get an email about a sale or an offer for something I might like, and have they EVER been able to give me a reason not to buy it? NO! Half the time I'll get free shipping, AND it'll arrive at my doorstep so fast that I suspect they've been actively stalking me. Customer service? Please. Their customer service is so damned good - efficient, polite, empowered, and effective - that you'd swear they actually care about their customers!

Seriously, it's a nightmare. An expensive, glorious nightmare.

Just to balance it up a bit, Axminster's prices are way over the top on most consumables. Sand paper and belts at least double.
Plenty of other good places half the price.

I have also experienced excellent service from Axminster.

I agree they are not always the cheapest, but I am not sure that this is their aim. They do seem to delivering a very creditable shopping experience both in store (not possible with Rutland) and on-line. The delivery of heavy machines is impeccable in my experience. I also think that the demo's and training facilities help to set them apart.

doctor Bob":1zkq9kcv said:
Just to balance it up a bit, Axminster's prices are way over the top on most consumables. Sand paper and belts at least double.

For similar items, or for the same items?

Sporky McGuffin":3cnhu1l5 said:
doctor Bob":3cnhu1l5 said:

For similar items, or for the same items?

better or identical I pay £28 a roll of 120g, axi are £49

So your complaint is that Axminster sell something for one price, and other people sell something else for a different price? Erm...

Sporky McGuffin":2vtmxldg said:
So your complaint is that Axminster sell something for one price, and other people sell something else for a different price? Erm...

No, I haven't made a complaint, my point was that everyone was raving about Axminster, I pointed out that on consumables they are priced very heavy, I'd rather order from somewhere else save half my money and still get it next day. But everyone has the choice to spend where they want and if they would rather spend double because a forum is raving about a company then that's fair enough.

Ok, then; your point is that Axminster sell something for one price, and someone else sells something else for a different price. I'm not sure that anyone should be in the slightest bit affronted at that.

I think you may have taken a rather narrow definition of "complaint" though. :)

Back