Waterstone recommendation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulm2930

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Currently I have a 1000 and 6000 grit stones but I want to upgrade them as they’re tedious to use, I soak them in water but even after soaking them they dry up mid use and it’s getting annoying.
I don’t know where I bought them so not sure what brand they are but were not expensive.

Can anyone recommend some that are not hideously expensive?

King are good
The 6000 grit doesnt absorb that much water. I just use a sponge and ad a bit of water as I go. Also try a naguru stone which cleans everything up and generates a sharpening slurry/paste on the finer stone

Depends what you want

Some stones are quick e.g shapton
Some stone have better feedback e.g naniwa

Some stones wish you were ready for steel with so much carbide it doesn’t abrade like normal e.g. high carbide

I've stored my water stones in water for the last forty years without any problem - they never get the chance to dry out.
Depends on the stone, some are soakers that are fine kept wet, some are splash and go which would dissolve if kept under water. Shapton pro and naniwa pro can’t be kept in water as an example

If your'e feeling rich the Naniwa Diamond range are really good. They grind/sharpen very quickly and leave a really good finish with little work. I just hope they last as they cost an arm and a leg, but work better than all my other diamond and normal waterstones. They are a bit of a hybrid between the two
Naniwa Diamond Stone Schleifstein, Körnung 800 (as an example)
Cheers
Andrew

Back