Waterproof wood.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vormulac

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

This has probably been covered before, but I did do a search and couldn't see anything immediately apparent.
I have just fitted a new shower and due to the fittings required I have about half an inch of pipework visible between where the shower unit starts and where the pipes disappear into the wall, this is naturally somewhat unsightly and I need something to conceal the pipes. What I was thinking would be easiest would be a shiny wooden plaque which would conceal the pipes and butt up nicely against the shiny metal of the shower unit. Of course, this is going to get very wet several times a day, so I will need a wood capable of weathering that kind of abuse.
My knowledge of different woods and their characteristics is woeful, so I turn to you wonderful chaps to offer some suggestions.

Cheers!

V.

Use a couple of short lengths of chrome pipe where they come out the wall

Jason

Thats the generally accepted way to make it 'look nicer' ....
You can get fittings Chrome plated too.. ( Kuetrlite 900 series . etc )

Why didn't you position the shower with the supply going out 'concealed' ?
(don't know of any electric showers available that don't have this facility nowadays ) ... was this a replacement for an older shower, and you did it this way, to fit in with the existing water supply and cabling arrangement ?
:)

I agree with the suggestions above,however if you decide on wood I believe Alder is excellent with water.

Apparently,it was used in Venice a lot for piles to hold the buildings up and when in contact with water it goes as hard as concrete.

Mark.

The shower is one of those 'floating metal bar' type, this sort of thing:

http://www.tritonshowers.co.uk/triton-f ... mixer.aspx

the one it replaced was a power shower with a nice all-concealing plastic box, unfortunately what it was concealing was some fairly scrappy tile work where the pipework comes out of the wall, so this is one of my reasons for wanting a nice piece of wood there rather than using a chrome pipe (not that I would know where to get chrome pipe from!).

Jenx":386pgt83 said:
Chippyjoe":386pgt83 said:
Apparently,it was used in Venice a lot for piles
Mark.

Cant resist this.. sorry ! ..... I always preferred Preparation H
:p :p :p

Wimp! 2 half bricks and mind yer' thumbs. :lol:

Vormulac":3p6n3jo0 said:
Hello folks,

This has probably been covered before, but I did do a search and couldn't see anything immediately apparent.
I have just fitted a new shower and due to the fittings required I have about half an inch of pipework visible between where the shower unit starts and where the pipes disappear into the wall, this is naturally somewhat unsightly and I need something to conceal the pipes. What I was thinking would be easiest would be a shiny wooden plaque which would conceal the pipes and butt up nicely against the shiny metal of the shower unit. Of course, this is going to get very wet several times a day, so I will need a wood capable of weathering that kind of abuse.
My knowledge of different woods and their characteristics is woeful, so I turn to you wonderful chaps to offer some suggestions.

Cheers!

V.

I'm in this sort of place to - I need to build a shower screen in wood. The suggestion so far has been teak (possibly teak ply to minimise movement). Some day I will actually get around to it!

Miles

Teak is the obvious choice, but there are others (Greenheart etc).

If you want to go for teak, depending on how much you need I might well an offcut big enough for the cost of the p&p.

Iroko or cedar would also be possible but the cedar is a bit soft.

Jason

Greenheart is very nasty if you get a splinter, maybe not a good thing in the shower. I would consider Iroko too, perhaps coated with epoxy resin and varnished (epoxy isn't UV proof).

Not sure if any of the woods mentioned will like alternate wetting and drying cycles - certainly elm posts are supposed to last for centuries if completely submerged, but rot fast at ground level.
Have to admit that for a similar problem in our bathroom I turned a couple of (?)nylon bushes out of a discarded plastic chopping board. Turns beautifully at about 500rpm, and makes shavings miles long :D

Thanks for all your comments, guys. That's a generous offer Jake, I'll measure up tonight and see precisely how big it would have to be and get back to you.
It's interesting to hear that a plumbing supply shop might have chrome pipe, there's quite a big supply shop at the end of my road. The pipe would have to be quite large bore to cover the crappy tiling though - still, might be worth an ask.

Thanks again folks!

Sorry this has taken so long, I've been having an absolute 'mare at home and work lately and I just keep forgetting to take the measurements in the evenings. Having measured up I think it probably goes beyond the realms of an off-cut, but just on the off-chance, the piece will need to be between 25 and 30 cm long, 10 to 12 cm wide and between 0.5 to 0.75 inch thick (yes, raised in the 70's I can't help using both systems for measuring). Like I said, this is probably way bigger than anyone would consider an off-cut, but if someone does have a suitable piece I'm sure an arrangement can be reached (I have no idea how much 'proper' wood costs!).

Cheers again for everyone's suggestions.

V.

I would also recommend teak. It also has the advantage of not splintering as much as other woods. Iroko is a good choice but does not have the resistance level to water that teak has.

Back