Water sitting in centre of shower tray

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamiePattison

Established Member
Reaction score
We've had a new shower tray fitted recently.

The waste is located on the bottom right.

I ran some water in the tray to ensure the sides didn't leak and noticed the water running into the waste.

This seems fine but a few hours later (almost 24 hours) I noted the water dried up on the sides of the tray but was pooled in the middle of the tray even though the waste is at the bottom right. Of course over the hours the water sitting in the centre reduced.

Does this sound normal for a new tray and needs some sort of settling in? I checked with the plumber and he advised this but just just wanted to check this can be the case?

No, it should clear itself fairly quickly. It's sitting in the tray because the tray is dished in the middle, which isn't how it should be in an ideal situation and it should fall to the direction of the outlet.

What is the make up of the tray, if plastic it's probably been installed incorrectly, insufficient support, if it's stoneware and the sides are level as it should be, then it's a manufacturing fault, probably cured too fast.

The Nuie Slate Grey that comes up on a Google search is a Polyester resin tray, but does have a lifetime guarantee, contact whoever this was sourced from, they will probably replace it without charge, but will not pay for the dismantling or re-laying, alternatively if you can identify the low point and work out if it can be built up, then an epoxy repair compound in the right colour could be used to fill the low area, this company can supply in the correct RAL colour: Epoxy Resin | Buy Premium Epoxy Resin Online | EPODEX

Whilst there is a conversation about shower trays I have just bought a large 25mm stone/get coat shower tray.regarding installation it says 15mm 5/1 sand and cement mix to bed if in. The installer is saying use flexible tile adhesive and comments?

A lot of people will bed a tray onto silicone or a hybrid sealant if it is on a base or direct onto a floor. Done correctly this will give a completely waterproof instalation whereas a sand / cement bed only gives support and level.

There is lots of argument about laying shower trays on sand cement mix. Personally I think it's crazy even though manufacturers insist on it (most/some). Sand cement will stop giving at a certain compression point and because the area is so large it's hard to gaurentee it' will go down level and you cannot force it beyond. There is no substitute for getting the area level before laying and making sure the tray is fit for purpose (they can be warped) and laying on an even bed of tile adhesive. It's how I've done a few and not had any issues. plus the bed can be just a few mil thick you won't get that thickness with sand cement. Skill builder has a video on doing it "correctly" with sand /cement and ends up cracking the tray because of lack of "give"
There will be other perspectives I'm sure.

Ive just fitted 2.... one on sand and cement because we had to build up 30mm to match underfloor heating thickness, the other was laid on a new ply floor. That one was primed on ply, then tile adhesive to fit the tray.... i used flexi floor adhesive, bagged.

Whilst there is a conversation about shower trays I have just bought a large 25mm stone/get coat shower tray.regarding installation it says 15mm 5/1 sand and cement mix to bed if in. The installer is saying use flexible tile adhesive and comments?
The type of bed recommended by the manufacture of my last shower tray was, after investigation, satisfied with "No more Nails" worked fine.

I had a very dodgy builder install a shower tray with mastic, he didn't load the try while it was setting so when anyone stood in the shower it pulled the tiles and opened a gap in the grout.
I refitted on No More Nails and loaded the tray with 18 stone of block pavers while it set, still OK 6 years later touch wood.

We've had a new shower tray fitted recently.

The waste is located on the bottom right.

I ran some water in the tray to ensure the sides didn't leak and noticed the water running into the waste.

This seems fine but a few hours later (almost 24 hours) I noted the water dried up on the sides of the tray but was pooled in the middle of the tray even though the waste is at the bottom right. Of course over the hours the water sitting in the centre reduced.

Does this sound normal for a new tray and needs some sort of settling in? I checked with the plumber and he advised this but just just wanted to check this can be the case?
I would have thought that a spirit level on the top edge should show up the problem. The shower would have been built in with the base/floor of the unit sloping towards the outlet, so being level around the upper edge is the key.

Just like everything if you start with dodgy footings then you cannot expect a solid job to follow. You need a solid level base on which to sit the tray and do not try and level it during fitting to overcome a base that is not level. What can ruin a good job are plastic legs that attach with double sided tape, it is a fast way to install but often not for the long term. Spend some time and build a nice solid base on which to sit the tray, should not be difficult as we are mostly woodworkers of some form and a shower base does not need fancy joints or precision down to a thou.

This is such a timely thread as I'm laying my first one next week. I note that the manufacturer states it should be stored flat otherwise it may warp and it should be played on a sand/cement mix. Good tip about loading the tray when laying it.
Martin

Did not need to load my current tray, it weighed 65kg. 🥴

Last edited:
Back