Warning / Price hike , VAT

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
So it looks like some company's are using the VAT rise to cover price increases :?

I just ordered a item that was £1389.50
The 2011 price will be £1589.82

so it looks like its MORE than a 2.5 % VAT rise :shock: :shock:

Unless these guys have a monopoly on this item or there is a cartel in operation you can vote with your feet, as it were......

.... or not buy it at all.

Blister":c4wd30wx said:
So it looks like some company's are using the VAT rise to cover price increases :?

Yep you got that right Blister, bet we will see price rises all over the place, and then they will blame the vat increase to try and cover thier backs. All it boils down to is how much more can they screw us for.

Cheers

Dave

:oops: ....ermm...that's what I'm doing, hiding some price rises in a rise in VAT - too good an opportunity to miss I'm afraid.

Chris.

Don`t really see this as any conspiracy or rip off, in my line of work January has always been the month of price increases, I expected nothing less, it`s certainly been the case for the last 13 years.

Blister":2azn2ww3 said:

Hey Blister,

£1589.82.....What did you order, a manual for the Titan :shock:

As stated above, you can always look around for an alternative supplier. It's also true that that many companies (manufacturers) raise their prices in January. I think to accuse retailers of ripping us off though is a bit unfair, if they are having price rises passed on to them they may have no choice but to pass those increases onto the public.

incidentally, the VAT rise of 2.5% is on the net price. The increase in the retail price of products should be nearer 2%.

regards

Brian

incidentally, the VAT rise of 2.5% is on the net price. The increase in the retail price of products should be nearer 2%.

The actual increase should be 2.13% (rounded up)

You must be an old wrinkly studders :lol:

That quote comes from Mandy Rice-Davis and the Profumo trial in 1963.

In any market, traders are going to sell for what they can. Many traders have had several very difficult years and if they don't make a profit, they go bust. There is a thread about Lyndhurst going on right now.

I'm not VAT registered any more, so I don't plan to alter my prices, but all my input costs go up this week. Raw media, cases, stationery, ink, advertising, business services, they are all sensitive to VAT. How can I offer a product at £20.40? It's ludicrous. It has to stay at 19.99 or go up to £24.99.

If people are selling something good at a competitive price, then I wish them well.

S

With the double increase in fuel from today and the 4th, delivery and transportation charges will rise. Are we still at a disadvantage with buying against the dollar? I am not buying anything Chinese despite them selling at a loss.

Mike Wingate":10jy9rlo said:
With the double increase in fuel from today and the 4th, delivery and transportation charges will rise. Are we still at a disadvantage with buying against the dollar? I am not buying anything Chinese despite them selling at a loss.

but wont buying anything with electronic parts in be made from some chinese part etc so like power tools etc

I notice that Bosch are building power tools in China. Just wait until the new Axminster cat lands on your doormat. I bet prices have gone up 10%.

Mike Wingate":3j9wwpkr said:
I notice that Bosch are building power tools in China. Just wait until the new Axminster cat lands on your doormat. I bet prices have gone up 10%.

This is the item I purchased , its in stock

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-pl ... rod795045/

3rd Jan price is £1389.50

4th Jan price £1589.82

Hummm :-k :-k :-k :-k [-X

Blister":211fmsj4 said:
Mike Wingate":211fmsj4 said:

This is the item I purchased , its in stock

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-pl ... rod795045/

3rd Jan price is £1389.50

4th Jan price £1589.82

Hummm :-k :-k :-k :-k [-X

axminster have an option to view their prices ex vat so it should be easy to see what part of the rise is due to the vat increase

Interesting to see most people think prices should rise by 2% ish, yet my raw materials have increased by 15% this year.
I intend to keep my prices as before (ex Vat), but I doubt anyone will be posting about the businesses which have done this.

A lot of people think because there is a dip in the economy that they can now negotiate prices, so as a manufacturer I am now being squeezed from both ends.

Yet, how often do I hear "it's nice to see something being manufactured in this country".

hand made kitchens herts

Back