Warning / Price hike , VAT

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thing is ever £1 put on the price exc VAT put a extra 20p on the price never mind the 2.5%on the original price

As a retailer, each January we get price rises from several companies, Brimarc, and Crown are just 2 of the companies that issue a new price list each January, Hamlet issue one in April and Robert Sorby in September they happen every year sometimes things don't go up much but with the economy and exchange rates going belly up means that prices rises for somethings were inevitable if they are from America, Europe or the raw materials have gone up then expect prices rises. So these price rises are not hidden they would have happened any way. As a retailer you can only be squeezed on price so much too much and the retailers wont be around in the future believe me when I say the margins just are not there anymore.

I am not happy about the rise in some of the prices that I will apply on the 4th but I have no choice I would loose money!

Russell":1mgc001q said:
As a retailer, each January we get price rises ..........................................

...................I am not happy about the rise in some of the prices that I will apply on the 4th but I have no choice I would loose money!

Lookout! INFLATION'S COMING!

This is exactly what happened thirty five years ago....... then all went on strike...... we had a weak, ineffectual government...........
then we had a dose of Maggie-like cuts (we have those now)................. then we had a boom, then we had a bust... few more strikes....then a bit more inflation....
The pound went down the pan....

etc etc etc

While I’ve got stock my prices will remain the same but I had a price increase from one manufacturer in late November and another manufacturer is having a price increase in January on top of the vat so I’ve got no choice but to increase my prices eventually.
I’m hoping that I won’t have to increase my prices until the end of January and hopefully it’s not going to be by much but all my other costs will be going up as well so it’s a case of increasing prices or kissing goodbye to self employment!

Ian

Don’t be surprised to see old stock go up as well, you will get it at the old price,
but you can expect to pay 20% on it, because your retailer will.
Iajon69 surely stock you have already, will have to increase by the extra vat,
because you will have to pay the vat man on sales and not what you stock.
e.g. £100 + vat before the rise, but if you sell it now it will raise to £120
meaning a loss to you.
I for one would expect to pay for old stock at the new vat rate, and don't forget
your running costs are going up, like on your fuel etc.
If we don't support the likes of you we will end up with one or two big boys out there
dictating what we all pay, with no competition whatsoever, I for one wouldn't like that if
I was still buying for my workshop.
I know where I used to buy, they were very helpful with good advice about the product
I was after, with a super after sale service.
This you can’t put a value on, so I would pay more from him than I could get somewhere
else cheaper, well worth the extra.

Blister":hnuvomkb said:
Mike Wingate":hnuvomkb said:
I notice that Bosch are building power tools in China. Just wait until the new Axminster cat lands on your doormat. I bet prices have gone up 10%.

This is the item I purchased , its in stock

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-pl ... rod795045/

3rd Jan price is £1389.50

4th Jan price £1589.82

Hummm :-k :-k :-k :-k [-X

Allen, how do you know that this is the new price? I want to order one of these, along with loads of other machinery and this is gonna p*** all over my budget as I haven't had a chance to move funds from my ISA yet, so I'm gonna be paying the new prices on everything. I thought 2.5% wouldn't be the end of the world, but this is a hell of a lot more! :evil:

p.s. got the ScrollSaw the other day, thanks very much. Not had it out the box yet as I'm moving to a new 'shop soon.

_Dan.

iajon69":nql9nm85 said:
While I’ve got stock my prices will remain the same but I had a price increase from one manufacturer in late November and another manufacturer is having a price increase in January on top of the vat so I’ve got no choice but to increase my prices eventually.
I’m hoping that I won’t have to increase my prices until the end of January and hopefully it’s not going to be by much but all my other costs will be going up as well so it’s a case of increasing prices or kissing goodbye to self employment!

Ian

Hi Ian

I don't see you having any problems m8, with the following you have on here and no doubt on other forums as well. I will still be buying from you because you have allways been more than helpfull to me and gone out of your way to do what ever you can to help me out.

Cheers

Dave

goldeneyedmonkey":3t2h84qu said:
Blister":3t2h84qu said:
Mike Wingate":3t2h84qu said:
I notice that Bosch are building power tools in China. Just wait until the new Axminster cat lands on your doormat. I bet prices have gone up 10%.

This is the item I purchased , its in stock

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-pl ... rod795045/

3rd Jan price is £1389.50

4th Jan price £1589.82

Hummm :-k :-k :-k :-k [-X

Allen, how do you know that this is the new price? I want to order one of these, along with loads of other machinery and this is gonna p*** all over my budget as I haven't had a chance to move funds from my ISA yet, so I'm gonna be paying the new prices on everything. I thought 2.5% wouldn't be the end of the world, but this is a hell of a lot more! :evil:

p.s. got the ScrollSaw the other day, thanks very much. Not had it out the box yet as I'm moving to a new 'shop soon.

_Dan.

Dan ,
I wanted to pay for it up front to avoid the VAT rise and arrange to collect it from Kent , but when on line I could not remove the £49 delivery charge

so Axminsters said OK just pay for it when you collect , I said but then I will be charges 20% VAT

He then said he would look in the new 2011 Axminster Catalogue to see what the price difference would be , I was then told the 2011 price :shock:

They must have known the price rise months ago to get it printed in the new Catalogue

Farkiiiiiiiing 'ell! I've got a list of stuff to get from Axy, but I've not managed to get the funds together to purchase them yet. It's about £1800 worth of stuff, it's gonna be ridiculous the amount it goes up by then I reckon!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: _Dan!

I just got a card from Machine Mart this morning inviting me to their VAT free events - only trouble is the dates are 30th Dec or 2nd Jan.....

goldeneyedmonkey":hikekoiq said:
Farkiiiiiiiing 'ell! I've got a list of stuff to get from Axy, but I've not managed to get the funds together to purchase them yet. It's about £1800 worth of stuff, it's gonna be ridiculous the amount it goes up by then I reckon!

I was also about to place an order for a planner at £457 but due to various issues couldn't before the VAT rise only to find today that it's now £538!!

At a shade over 17% that's a fair old rise. I'm trying to be generous and allow for the general rise in materials etc as well as the VAT thing but can't help wondering if some urine removal is also taking place?

I'll certainly be looking around more, - trouble is I haven't found a comparible machine.

Just filled our 2500 litre oil tank with 2000 litres. Nearly 70p a litre. Ten years ago it was 14p.

So £1400 for something we will burn. Grrr.

stuartpaul":4vnz8q1l said:
goldeneyedmonkey":4vnz8q1l said:

I was also about to place an order for a planner at £457 but due to various issues couldn't before the VAT rise only to find today that it's now £538!!

At a shade over 17% that's a fair old rise. I'm trying to be generous and allow for the general rise in materials etc as well as the VAT thing but can't help wondering if some urine removal is also taking place?

I'll certainly be looking around more, - trouble is I haven't found a comparible machine.

I was after one of these planers as well, will have to save for a bit longer now :(

I feel Axi are taking the pee with the new price :x

Steve

Axminster normally put up their prices about now, the cost of transport from China has gone up and also the workers over there will not work for a bowel of rice a week any more.

Even so £ 200 on a dust extractor seems a bit steep I would look at another make .

Tom

Most of the price increase will be the change in the exchange rate that will previously been fixed at a more favorable position than it currently is causing quite a hike in prices. I have seen it across several suppliers over the last 6 months coupled with the high oil price and raw material cost we are now seeing the effect of the economic crash seeping through to the retail price which so far had been largely unaffected. I have had far more companies increase their prices mid year or even twice in a year than has happened before and these rises eventually get passed on to the end user sometimes if you absorb a price increase when you do put one through they seem larger as you recover lost margin.

Like it Studders :)

If you are selling the woodwork you do, you will obviously pass on any increase to your customers.
If your work is for hobby, you have to bite the bullet or pack up your hobby, unless you sell what you make.
Hobbyists can't afford to give their work away anymore, you really have to recover as much as you can.
All my work was done as an hobbyist, so I know how much it can dent the wallet, but if you want the best of the tools
you have to pay the price.
It is obvious we can no longer screw the retailer to the floor, they have been riding increase after increase,
we can see how over the last 5 years how they have disappeared, as hobbyists we can't afford to let our local shops close,
Shopping on line is fine, but I like to see and and try my tools, so my local shop was a must.
As I said in my earlier posting, I have had to pack it all in bar for the odd job round the house, like today fitting in a ball catch.
When the weather changes I shall have a few odds and bobs that I shall put in the For Sale and Wanted thread.
I promise my vat hasn't gone up. :)

Just before Christmas I went to order a new batch of Bristol levers. They are the most common purchase after my DVDs themselves. I last ordered some back in the summer.
I was horrified to find that they had more than doubled in price. Same product. Needless to say I found a different supplier, but that is indicative of the sort of pressures traders are under.
S
Edit - And that was before the VAT rise.

There's no doubt some retailers are using the VAT increase to 'bury bad news', and that seems to include Axminster. Their price for the Leigh d/t jig has increased by £25 from around £400 pre-Jan 4th. The actual increase due to VAT would have been around £8.50.
As a direct result they have not got an order from me - I went elsewhere and found it cheaper. I know that Brimarc (parent company??? Some sort of tie-up anyway) are the importers, and that the jig will probably come via them in some way, but I'm afraid it has coloured my thinking about a company that I have spent a lot of money with over the years. So if you're listening Axminster, and any other companies who have similarly hiked up their prices, that's what happens. Tough, but I ain't no charity.

Back