wanting to upgrade my hegner advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac1012

Established Member
Reaction score
hi i have a hegner base model which has serverd me well over the past two years , in the new year i will be making my rocking horses out of solid pine and i am wanting a saw with a bit more ooomph ,

i have a few choices a hegner mulitcut 2s 660 pounds single speed (gulp) i doont mind paying this if i think im going to get more bang for my buck , but dont wanna pay money for a saw thats similar to one i have now i been looking at the axminster awfs 18 which has similar spec to a hegner 2s but as someone was selling one on here to upgrade to a hegner not sure if thats going to be any good

the excalibur have had a lot of negative feed back on here although on paper they look good i know the newer models are not as good as the green older ones.

so what can i upgrade too ??

any feedback from pepole who have any of these saws would be great

mark

Mark,

without going back over old posts, it may have been asked before, but does it need to be a scroll saw? If you are stack cutting the pine, could you not use a small bandsaw with appropriate blade? The radia are not that tight are they and if people can do bandsaw boxes I would have thought that your horses would be possible.

Mark

hi i have got a axminster base model band saw which i use for the rockers mainly my blade selection wasnt good last time as i cant get tight enough radius it was 1/2 inch blade but i cant get to cut as tight as some people i need to learn a bit more i find the scroll saw quicker and easier than the bandsaw if im honest if i got a course blade in the hegner if i have coarse blade in bandsaw i dont see top get good enough results im thinking of template routering to finish them if i could get a tight enough radius for the head etc then yes i would go down the bandsaw route but i dont seenm to be able to get it to do what i want it to do !

mark

Hi Mark. Sadly there is very little out there thats any good. I have heard that the AWFS 18 is a good saw but many people that have bought them have had to do a lot of filing as some of the castings have rough edges and some have had bad cuts to their hands. The spec seems the same as the Hegner 2S but I doubt if the overall quality is as good as the Hegner. Having said that there are a lot of happy people out there that bought them. I feel with the mass produced saws from the far east there will always be problems with them and the main problems seem to be centred around the clamping system. I feel for best results a cast iron saw table is a lot better than an aluminium one so its something to consider when buying a new saw. The top of the range hegner would be nice for you, 22inch throat, cast iron table, 1750 speed but then you are looking at a grand and I think that is to much money to spend on a scroll saw.

With your rocking horses have you tried using a Flying Dutchman ultra reverse number 9 blade, These would cut your pine at a good rate and leave a super smooth finish to the sides. Also the NRG reverse blades from Hegner are quite good. I have just got some and I find them okay cutting my 18mm hardwoods.

Hi Mark,

If you want a saw with ooomph then look no further than a Delta Q3 !
You can pick these up on Ebay for less than £200 and they have much more ooomph than any saw mentioned here.
The Q3 is a 'C' arm saw type and has a much more aggressive cutting action compared to the run-of-the-mill parallel arm type.
This results in a faster cutting action because of it's geometry.

For more information look at the 'About Saws' section on the left hand menu on the following site :

http://www.scrollsaws.com/

Having used many different scrollsaws, most of which have been the parallel type, I can say without prejudice that a 'C' arm saw is the fastest cutting saw I have used.

Scrollerman

Latest posts

Back