Wanted: Someone to repair motor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul

Reaction score
I have an old mortice machine from the 40's or 50's. The motor needs a bit of attention. I think it may just be the capacitor. It is having trouble starting up. I'd love some advice on how to find someone who might want to take this on.
Cheers, Fingers crossed!

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum.

Bob (9fingers) is the man you want, and I have no doubt he will be along soon.

Cheers

Mike

Hi there,

Do a search on google for the following:

Holroyd Engineering/ Wood Working Machinery
CMS Leciester
AMS

CMS & AMS have engineers from Wadkin's Ultracare.
Holroyd is a one man band and he seemed quite pleasant to work with when I met him, he's based in oxford i think.

Hope that helps

Did someone call?????

Paul, Please can you post a overall view of the motor and a sharp focus close up of the rating plate.
Also if you can describe the problem eg won't start at all or starts sometime not others and what happened last time you used it satisfactorily. Any smoke? or unusual smells etc
I can normally get most motors back to life
Cheers

Bob

9fingers":1tivzj7c said:
Did someone call?????

Paul, Please can you post a overall view of the motor and a sharp focus close up of the rating plate.
Also if you can describe the problem eg won't start at all or starts sometime not others and what happened last time you used it satisfactorily. Any smoke? or unusual smells etc
I can normally get most motors back to life
Cheers

Bob

Bob 4 hours :shock: :shock: what kept you?

Cheers

Mike

Sorry Mike - I was doing some woodwork - perish the thought :lol: Then it was my turn to cook dinner :roll:

Will I get banned for dereliction of duty?

I just cleared my last motor query yesterday when a UKW member brought me a motor and in a couple of hours he was up and away with a working motor.

So that was over a day before the next one turns up - I ought to take it up professionally :lol:

Bob

Paul
If you need any major work I've used H.M motor repairs
They are in Nile st. north of Moorfields hospital. Quick and reasonable, familiar with woodworking motors.They have a workshop full of gubbins you probably wouldn't expect to find in the middle of London anymore
Matt

Dear Everyone,

Thank you for your replies.

Bob, I'm not sure I can post photos to this site, or if I can I'm not sure how. The rating plate is a bit scratched, but I can read the following:

Wright Electric Motors (Halifax) Ltd., No. A51637, HP 1, Volts 220/230, Phase 1, ~50, RPM 2800, AMPS 7.[1?], Rating Cont, COS [zero with a slash through it (sorry, don't know that alphabet), then illegible], Halifax England

It's not a sealed motor, so you can sort of see in the open ports at the top.

It's struggling to start, so when the shaft would normally start to spin after switching on, it makes kind of a buzzing noise, the shaft remains stationary momentarily and then it slowly starts to spin. Once it gets going it seems fine and has full power. There was no no smoke or bad smell. I can spin the shaft by hand very easily, but it doesn't seem to help if I start the shaft spinning by hand (just so it's not stationary) and then switch it on--even then it still struggles. This problem started quite suddenly and got progressively worse over three or four uses of the machine.

Paul

ps Bob, I would be very happy to send you photos directly to your eMail address if you give it to me--I know how to do that!
Cheers
Paul

9fingers":xhafvzn5 said:
I just cleared my last motor query yesterday when a UKW member brought me a motor and in a couple of hours he was up and away with a working motor.

So that was over a day before the next one turns up - I ought to take it up professionally :lol:

Bob

I was that UKW member!

Many thanks to Bob who is both a gentleman and a scholar!!

Turned up with a broken motor, had coffee, took the obligatory tour of the workshop(s) and then the master got to work and hey presto, one happy motor. All in all a very pleasant morning.

Thanks again Bob, you epitomise what this forum is all about!

Cheers,

Mark

Back