Router Motor Repair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLWT

Reaction score
I need to get my 106mm dia body Xact Router Motor working again, but I cant find a repairer who will even look at it as it “isn’t a major brand”. Bought from Rutland Tools but out of warranty : they won’t look at it but say they have spares. Anyone know if I’ll find someone to repair this? If I bite the bullet it seems like Rutland is the only seller for a direct replacement (At £250)!

Hi you need to give the members more information on what’s wrong with it - there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum but they can’t help you if you don’t tell them what the issues are, what happened to it , when did it last work etc - 👍👍

It appears to be a "coke can" motor unit for use in a router table.
Your worst case scenario is replace it with a AUK model from a different vendor.
Still expensive.
To diagnose the fault, we need some more information but the things to look at are:
Blown fuse in the plug.
Failed switch in the end of the motor unit
Broken wire in the power cord if it has been trapped or repeatedly kinked in the same place
Circuit board in the end of the motor has failed / burnt out - there's a circuit board in a lot of motors these days - look for signs of scorching / smell of overheated electronics
The brushes may just have worn out if it has enough hours of use
The field or armature coils may have burnt out from overload
Bearings worn out which would make it noisy and rough but it would still spin unless you left it running on ruined bearings and it siezed completely.

First three are easy fixes with cheap parts, brushes too
Bearings are straightforward if you are mechanically minded
Burnt out coils are uneconomic to repair
Failed circuit board depends on how much the seller is charging for spares. Potentially too expensive.

Your challenge is you won't find anyone to fix it for you. Think what you would be willing to pay for a repair on top of the cost of parts vs what they need to earn to spend (say) half a day on this for you and you'll see that if you can't fix it yourself you'll have to replace it.

worth taking to bits to inspect, might be a simple fix. Unaware of the inners on yours but the field windings on my traditional unit was full of caked in wood dust, painstakingly hooked out and router burst into life when back together. When done now I always run the air line through the vents tom blow out the fine dust.
Replacement, take a look at aliexpress, enclosed pickie, I have bought loads of bits from there, no issues, around 8 to 10 days to get from china, all fully tracked with good updates on travel. Ebay was my first port of call but now its aliexpress, highly rate the site. The enclosed pickie comes in at £193.

Attachments

• router motor.jpg
    router motor.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 0
Motors often respond well to some TLC. Take it apart, clean it, ensure the bearings turn freely. If a brushed motor it's most likely to be as simple as needing new brushes, no dismantling needed. Branded ones are expensive but you can get generic ones cheaper: just measure the old ones (or, more likely, the holes they fitted into!).
If it's a DC brushless type however, it may well be toast...

Back