Wanted 1.25" x 8tpi nuts (1.1/4" -8 tpi nuts)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinytim1458

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi can anyone please help.
Does anyone know were in the uk I can buy 10 to 20 hex or heavy hex nuts that have have the Thread for the Nova spindle thread of 1.25" x 8tpi UN or UNC (1-1/4" x 8tpi)
I have looked at a couple of places including Tracy tools in the uk but can only buy from a couple of places in the USA and they require you to take out a mortgage to buy them and ship back to the Uk.
I need a Uk supplier and one that does not mean paying £50 to £100 per nut as I only want to use them to make my own faceplates or jigs that I can screw directly onto my chuck thread as wooden threads don't hold up to much.
Thanks Tim

If you only need a few, get some turned out of hex bar?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I make faceplates using these nuts, I have a web site with pricing and stuff (wbnoble) - apparently my account doesn't have permission to post the site url - but if you were to search for "welded faceplates", it will turn up near the top, I think.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that I'm on the wrong side of the ocean and shipping is a bit dear. The nuts I use weigh about a pound each, so I can ship four of them in a small flat rate box, prices for shipping the box are on the US postal service site, usps. I have shipped some stuff to the UK, but not a lot. If several persons get together, it will be more economical to use the medium flat rate box and fill it to the max permitted international weight. Or find someone flying back and forth that will carry some in their luggage.

hope this helps.

Tim,

Don't know if this firm can help with the quantity you require but I order odd, by today's standards, bolts for railway wagon restoration from them and their service has been good.

http://www.smithbullough.com

I can never work out how the company is structured but you may find yourself put through to Thomas Smith Ltd on the phone.

Tony Comber

tinytim1458":3hwjcusl said:
Hi can anyone please help.
Does anyone know were in the uk I can buy 10 to 20 hex or heavy hex nuts that have have the Thread for the Nova spindle thread of 1.25" x 8tpi UN or UNC (1-1/4" x 8tpi)
I have looked at a couple of places including Tracy tools in the uk but can only buy from a couple of places in the USA and they require you to take out a mortgage to buy them and ship back to the Uk.
I need a Uk supplier and one that does not mean paying £50 to £100 per nut as I only want to use them to make my own faceplates or jigs that I can screw directly onto my chuck thread as wooden threads don't hold up to much.
Thanks Tim

Hi Tim,
I am in the same boat as you, I have a Maxi 1 with the same thread as your Nova . I am sure that there are a few more of us in the same position. I looked at the face plates the Guy from the USA makes and they look ideal. Perhaps if a few of us get together we could split the shipping costs etc between us.

Vic

It may be worth giving Clerkenwell Screws a call; they have a huge and varied selection of just about everything. They've got me out of a hole several times!

020 7405 6504

if you get a "group buy" together so you get a bunch of them, I can ship from the USA - the shipping will cost more than the nuts (see my web site, wbnoble) but it may still be less dear than buying locally in small quantity. I buy them in 250 pound barrels and go through a barrel every three or 4 years making welded faceplates.

I've had a similar problem since I bought a second hand Nova lathe last year, however I've now found a supplier in Scotland who supplies to the petrol-chemical industry and since a lot of the kit used is from the US they carry 1.25 inch 8tpi nuts in stock. I contacted them via email and subsequently they sent a proforma invoice which I paid over the phone by CC and received the nuts a couple of days later. Fit nicely but needed a washer as I don't think the thread on the lathe went up to the end. They cost £2.5 each and with delivery and VAT on top 10 nuts came to £50. The company is studboltscotland. I know this is an old thread but thought I'd update just in case anyone wants some.

Back