wand tips

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinytim1458

Established Member
Reaction score
I hope you can help. I am making some wand's for my children and their friends since they saw the latest harry potter film. I have made one for your viewing but i am sure i could do better but i don't know how, could anyone give me some tips the wand length at the moment as 12" and the handled part of the wand it a bit smaller than my hand to get round, have put some sanding sealer round it sande'd it them then gone round it a couple times with friction polish. Wonder if it is a bit chunky to me in the overall size. Could you help. Are their better designs i can come up with what would be a better size for children to handle and is there a better and more longer lasting finish i can give them.
Thanks tim
What are the gone round it a couple times with friction polish. Wonder if it is a bit chunky to me in the overall size. Could you help. Are their better designs i can come up with what would be a better size for children to handle and is there a better and more longer lasting finish i can give them.
Thanks tim
What are the

Attachments

• Wand1-001.jpg
    Wand1-001.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 1,111
I would say that if it is a fit for your hand it would need to be smaller for children .
I think any wood oil would be ok
REgards Boysie

Hi Blister
Looks like i will need a lot more practice to make mine look half as good as ones on google.
I can see some are made of plastic but the woodwn ones look as it they have been handcarved or done another way.
Thanks for the link though.
Tim

just dug this out of the practice pile,,,,

PIC_0019.JPG

i was seeing what happens when you turn a bit then move the tailstock centre a bit, turn a bit more etc. and i ended up with a wand!
didnt bother finishing it cos its supposed to have been up a wizards sleeve for a few hundred years :D so the gnarlier the better :)
it started out about broom handle sized i think, its about 12 in long, 1 in at its widest. its just a piece of scrap but may give you an idea.

ps careful where you point it and what you say when testing it :twisted:

Attachments

• PIC_0019.JPG
    PIC_0019.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,039
The ones at Universal are made of resin, maybe with a metal core?
We "did" HP yesterday, my Granddaughter has started collecting them at $30 each!! They do come in a fancy box though!

Rod

Just realised cannot give this to my son as he has a habbit at this moment that he hits people with any object going ( he is a young 4 year old) so i will have to make him with one out of a lighter material balsa or something or he is going to have someones eye out or they will end up going to hospital.
He decided to throw the spinning tops i made for him and his brother around for a few days before he got bored of it, he could not get the hang of spinning them around so started throwing them in a temper, Next time i might have to make a spinning top with the handle as long as he still has not startes throwing the wands about.
Catch you later.
Tim

hobbler":2i6o8bzm said:
Interesting thread seems its the rage ATM :roll: no idea why with Mods permission have a look at this thread http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/magic- ... ky-137938/

Ray

The pictures on that site look great
will have to try those.
Yes i do seem to have made that one the wrong way round but the wood seemed to work better that way for some reason.

Thanks for the great advise guys, has anyone done woodburning or engraving on a wand to make it better
Tim

Back