Walnut chopping board - advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molynoox

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm making a chopping board for my friend as a wedding gift.
I'm using walnut. I was going to mix some oak in with it but I'm now thinking I might just go pure walnut.

Looking for some advice.
Here it is so far:
IMG_20230508_132247.jpg

IMG_20230508_132252.jpg

I'm cutting up an old desk, so it has a noticeable join where two boards have been joined previously.

Should I just leave this?
Should I chop it up so I can disguise the change in colour better?

Martin

Note that the stripey effect will probably disappear once sanded, I think that's just grain being aligned by the track saw.

The join in each 'strip' is what I'm trying to deal with if that makes sense

Haha probably not. I have about 20 in various sizes, I still have a long way to go on the clamp front. Was planning on doing the glue up in sections unless that's a bad idea....

Why not make it as end grain, you can then utilise the different colours (if they show up different in end grain) to form a pattern?
Just a thought. HTH.

I would avoid using the oak in that grain direction as if it swells it would be noticeable against the end grain of the walnut. Either cut it in end grain orientation or leave it out.

Ive done a few boards, in my experience sometimes the walnut comes across as too dark/black and you loose all character , so i tend to always mix it up. But sometimes its ok.. depends on the walnut!

Definitely the version captioned "Or maybe I do this:".

There's a decent chance you will still see some variation (due to the flipped pieces) after finishing as there will be small differences in the grain (even though it's end grain). At least, that's held up in my experience of making end grain boards. You probably will still see the joins in each length too; but I think it'll make for an attractive pattern.

As you have some different coloured wood ( Maple?) you could try the following: alternate the two and glue up staggered at 45 deg. Clamping this is a bit tricky. Then cut at that 45 deg angle and glue up again. I made a chopping board this way.
Nigel

Attachments

• 1683623825969.jpg
    1683623825969.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
As you have some different coloured wood ( Maple?) you could try the following: alternate the two and glue up staggered at 45 deg. Clamping this is a bit tricky. Then cut at that 45 deg angle and glue up again. I made a chopping board this way.
Nigel
Cool idea. Not my preference, I prefer straight lines I think but thanks for the idea.

Screenshot_2023-05-09-12-34-30-79_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

I like this look (above in pic)
It's walnut and cherry, seems like oak is not the best so I might try the cherry if I can get hold of some.
Although I may need to orient it end grain up same problem as with oak?

oak is not ideal but it'll do, I'd probably stick with walnut, best wood is sycamore or beech for chopping boards because of the anti bacterial properties.

Hi

I'm making a chopping board for my friend as a wedding gift.
I'm using walnut. I was going to mix some oak in with it but I'm now thinking I might just go pure walnut.

Looking for some advice.
Here it is so far:
View attachment 158714
View attachment 158715
I'm cutting up an old desk, so it has a noticeable join where two boards have been joined previously.

Should I just leave this?
Should I chop it up so I can disguise the change in colour better?

Martin
@Molynoox .
Are you certain the wood is walnut? Looks like some form of mahogany.
Fred

Back