• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Walnut box commission

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Phil Sewell

Established Member
Reaction score
I've recently finished this commission for a client who has a Noahs ark collection and wanted a box to house it in. It's American black walnut with burr on the lid and drawer fronts. Ebony stringing, African blackwood for the handles. I used Andrew Crawford's smart hinge instead of the Brusso hinges I usually use. The drawers are maple (apart form the fronts). They are compartmentalised to house the animals.

Thought you might like a look!

Phil.

http://www.finehandmadeboxes.co.uk

Attachments

thecoder

Established Member
Reaction score
Truly beautiful ! I have some walnut ready to start my fir :st ever box,but that makes me really nervous of starting.
:D

jimmy rivers

Established Member
Reaction score
Lovely work, well done :D

It must be a pretty special Noah's Ark set. Do you have any pictures of it, be great to se it all loaded up?

Cheers,

Jim

Phil Sewell

Established Member
Reaction score
No images of the Noah's ark I'm afraid Jim. It wasn't very special actually. I was a bit surprised she wanted to spend such a lot on a box to put it in!

Phil.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Many thanks for showing and the link to your web site, it was really worth the visit and your WIP's. were very informative. The contact links were also interesting as well.

Lovely boxes of course.

andersonec

Established Member
Reaction score
Phill,

I have spent many hours on your web site admiring your skill and studying your techniques, don't suppose you want a gofer? :lol:

Andy

bugbear

Established Member
Reaction score
The main carcase dovetails are very beautifully cut, but I feel that they detract a little from the grain patterns. There's a clash between the sweeping organic flow of the grain, and the geometry of the DTs, especially with the tricky spacing that allows for the drawers.

But it is a truly impressive piece of work.

BugBear

markturner

Established Member
Reaction score
Amazing precision joinery, I can only dream of getting that good....well done and thanks for sharing

Cheers, Mark

bobscarle

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just spent quite a time on your website looking at your work. Absolutely stunning! The joints are cut with remarkable accuracy, I too can only dream of getting to that standard.

Trouble is the wife has seen the jewellery boxes too. I guess that will be a project in the new year.