wadkin PK restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, spent some time after sunday lunch playing in my workshop.

sun3.jpg

sun6.jpg

The inside of the blade cover came up quite well with one of those brass rotary brushes that go in a drill

sun4.jpg

All prepped and zinc primed

sun7.jpg

sun8.jpg

sun2.jpg

sun1.jpg

This is the first id plate that I have found on a machine that is in really good condition. Normally I would polish them, but I left this one enamelled.

sun5.jpg

Mark

Nick, I seem to spend more time messing about with metal things than useing them for their intended purpose :D I do enjoy it. I think it helps to know how something is built. Then you know how to fix it if its not working correctly.
Mark

I agree. You do need to know but when the machine is being used daily it's hard to be able to do anything like that. Catch 22... I'm assuming it takes alot more shop space up as well?

Since I started this I haven't been able to do anything else because every worktop is covered in parts. I have to bring the top in yet, then I will see if theirs room to swing a cat. Or I might have to get rid of my Sagar bench. I have permission off swmbo to make my workshop bigger, so then I will be able to have my cake and eat it. I was toying with the idea of useing the sagar with a moulding head.

I sprayed the blade cover first thing this morning.

a2-1.jpg

a1-1.jpg

This is how I clean the parts, This is the blade boss and nut

a3.jpg

I then clean it with a brass wire wheel on the grinder

a4.jpg

I then buff it with a fairly hard mop that has silverline red compound on it.

a5.jpg

Heres a close up of the tag which is in really good condition

a6.jpg

I managed to put the blade cover on, the paint was still a bit soft so had to be carefull

a7.jpg

I then had a go at bringing the top in from outside, it was reasonably easy

a9.jpg

I'm gonna need a couple of strong friends to help me lift the table on

a10.jpg

Mark

After cleaning and painting the underneath I hoisted the top up and rolled the saw under it.

b1.jpg

I then degreased and prepped ready for paint

b2.jpg

I then gave the top a shave

b3.jpg

Mark

Had quite a productive day, after I'd done my chores I went for a play in the shed.

Firstly I cleaned the table with a brass rotary brush

c1.jpg

Then I finished it off with one of those green scrubber things, Its not exactly how I want it so will do some more work on it later.

c2.jpg

Next the slideing table.

c3.jpg

c5.jpg

c6.jpg

It has quite a few dings in it.

c7.jpg

This is the carriage which the table slides on, cleaned primed and painted.

c12.jpg

This is the handle which locks the slideing table.

c10.jpg

It was pretty dented so I sanded it with a power file

c11.jpg

These are the bearings the table rides on, they are seated on a little cam so if there is any wear it can be rotated to reduce any slop. They haven't been moved in donkeys and the grease was solid so they are getting a soak in parafin.

c13.jpg

Mark

I can only say I am filled with admiration for what you are doing here. It's going to look fantastic and be a real asset to your workshop.

Jim

When I pollish a piece I treat it like wood really. Start off at the right grit then work through the grits before finishing on the mop with compound. Heres the lever finished

d1.jpg

I degreased and cleaned the bearings and then reassembled the carriage.

d2.jpg

Does anyone know what the shiny bit is in the middle of the carriage, It has half a thread and the other half thread is in the carriage. The carriage has a hole going through the base which lines up to it.

I managed to get the slideing table back on. It was heavy. It needs adjusting to make it the same height as the main table. Can you remember the film jaws 'gonna need a bigger boat'. I didn't realise how big the saw is.

d3.jpg

Mark

"Oh what a beauty... I've never seen one as big as that before!" (Quote Alan Breeze, Vocalist, Billy Cotton Band) !!! :mrgreen:

Fantastic job. A lovely bit of cast iron and steel. Nice job. :D
)

A little more, This is one of the shafts that hold the crown guard. I put it on the lathe to clean up

q1.jpg

q2.jpg

q3.jpg

q4.jpg

Todays efforts.

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

t3.jpg

t5.jpg

t6.jpg

Next job is the fence, I've been saving this till last. The fence on this is quite nice

t8.jpg

t9.jpg

t7.jpg

Half an hour all in bits

t10.jpg

This saw must have had some muppet operators, Ideally I would like to get it machined but got no pennies for such things.

t11.jpg

Hi there, some are quite deep maybe 3mm. I've never tried scraping is it hard? What tools would I need. I will usually have a go at most things.
Mark

Latest posts

Back