wadkin PK restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent a few hours derusting nuts and bolts ready to polish up.
This is the door for the electrics, its cast ali and pretty messy.

elecdoor1.jpg

Cleaned the paint off and sanded it abit

elecdoor2.jpg

Hi,

Beautiful bit of kit Mark and very well done so far with its restoration. They don't come any better than Wadkin and I'd be interested to learn what motor is fitted as Brook's where I worked supplied 1,000's of motors to Wadkin.

Have you seen the following Mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CshzDpA4AXs

Keep up the good work and kind regards, Col.

Hardwood66":3eg0fbwk said:
Blister":3eg0fbwk said:
Have you seen the following Mark:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

No Blade guard , No riving knife , No dust extraction , no face mask , no eye protection :shock:

I would need to count my finger if I used it :?

Agreed

ah! But have you seen Jack's PK now it's finished? Fitted with original crown guard and riving knife.

He is also firm believer of using short fences when ripping and riving knives.

That's going to be one mean saw when it's done Mark.

JH

Hi Col. that clip is Jacks PK before he "jackified" it. Heres it when he finished it http://www.machinejunkie.com/forum/view ... 3e1aa031dd

I dont know how long it took him but the standard of work is immense. I'm really enjoying every moment of this restoration. Its getting alittle cramped in my workshop and thats before I bring the table top inside. I may have to get rid of my lovely sagar saw. I've had it fifteen years and just restored it a couple of months ago. :cry:

Jack's work is something else!

nice to see your saw coming along, a small tip for household chores. when asked to hoover do it so badly they wont ask you to do it again :lol:

adidat

Hi adidat, the mrs has been unwell for six months now so I've had to 'man up' or 'wifey up' and do everything. I'm quite domesticated now :D

good on you man,

i will be honest, today i went into the kitchen and did some washing up. my granddad was over the moon until he realised i was degreasing some freshly turned parts for a glue up :lol:

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for the update on Jacks PK. That is one serious restoration of the highest calibre we can all aspire to. Your saw is coming along a treat and I bet you can't wait to push the start button; one thing is for sure it won't walk around the workshop whilst sawing a bit of 1"x2".

Sagar and Dominion used to make substantial machines as well and I too owned a Sagar but mine was a radial arm. I also owned a big Dominion lathe and as I'm from a mechanical engineering background I owned a rather nice Colchester Triumph lathe. It reached the stage in my garage that I could no longer move without bumping into a machine so I had a clear out which brought a tear to my eye and a lump to my throat.

The problem now Mark is can I resist doing more machine restorations after seeing yours and Jacks? If only I had a warehouse.

Kind regards, Col.

Hardwood wrote

"It's a beaut if I had the space and money I would send him some machines "

well Sir, if had enough money I'd buy from him AFTER he restored a couple monsters for me.

Old Wadkins, Sagars, Robinsons, SCMs, Harwies and a few more good makers I've forgotten to mention, made old iron to LAST.

Unlike most of todays makers :(

Karl

Hi Karl thats why I buy old wadkin and sagar stuff. most people cant see the potential but a couple of weeks work and you have something 100 times better than I could afford if buying new. I spent 4hrs buffing some nuts and bolts today.

bolts.jpg

bar.jpg

Mark

Not everyone's idea of beauty, but I love them. You're lucky to have the space (and the gear to move it). Really well engineered, so no surprise at all that under the crud, it is going to be excellent. Someone told me recently that the reason Wadkin (original) went bust is because they made everything too well... i.e. it would never need replacing.
Re the restoration personally I'd go for excellent technically, clean original cosmetics. You can always go further later, but it's hard to undo a make-over.

Right Lads. I've just seen this baby in the metal and I've got to tell you all, she's beautiful. Mark (Wallace) is doing a simply superb job in all aspects of the restoration and he would make the foundrymen, machinists and inspectors who assembled it well chuffed, were they alive today. I was priveleged to see his other restorations and I have to say, the sliding surfaces are silk-like and the graduations and marks are crystal clear. Go enjoy, that man!

Sam

Back