• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

wadkin PK restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, after getting the saw recently I couldn't wait to start takeing it to bits. The first task was getting it off the trailer, I rigged up a big joist to hoist it up and pull the trailer out

The gears were thick of crud so gave them a little clean to check for wear.

One good thing about this saw is that it was used in a commercial business so has a really good brake fitted.

Mark

yetloh

Established Member
Reaction score
Lovely, really look forward to seeing it progress.

Jim

adidat

I will not buy anymore tools...
Reaction score
wallace":11zaik4k said:
The gears were thick of crud so gave them a little clean to check for wear.

(homer) (homer) mhmmmmmm

nice shiny gears

keep it up

adidat

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
That's some serious crud removal - what did you use? Power washer? Scrubbing brush? Air line?
Presumably there was no wear on those gears.

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Andy, all I used was compresed air then some spray degreaser and a paint brush and more air. The gears are exactly the same as what was used on the boreing machine I have. There was no noticeable wear.
I managed to get the base in the shed today, took a bit of doing. I put a big rawl bolt in the floor and to hook a hoist on, then I levered the base on some joists with some oil on and it slid quite well. That was untill my father in law came to help! And managed to make it fall onto its side :roll: luckily I had removed the soft aluminium stuff. Still snapped a bolt.

This bit was pretty heavy

I have a little dilemma aswell, because I got this saw swmbo says I may aswell sell my other wadkin saw. Plus I'm running out of space. Maybe I should extend my workshop and keep both saws.

Mark

Tony Spear

Established Member
Reaction score
yetloh":13jgc8fs said:
wallace":13jgc8fs said:
Maybe I should extend my workshop and keep both saws.

Mark
Of course you should!

Jim
Don't be daft, of course he shouldn't!
He should donate one of them to a deserving cause!
After me in the queue................................ :mrgreen:

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I started takeing the blade raise mechanism to bits today. It was totally seized so I was panicking incase it was something serious.

50 years of grease

The cotter pin that holds the gear on its shaft was snapped, I think someone must have put a bit much pressure on trying to raise the blade when it was seized. Luckily no damage, just got to find a new pin.

Mark

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
A few bits of the blade raise mechanism degreased, cleaned and ready for paint.

I think it is a bit of a design flaw from wadkin in that the threaded shaft that raises the blade can accumulate dust in the top of the female bit which fills the threads and stops it working.
Mark

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, did a bit more. I put the shaft on the lathe to clean it up.

I then buffed the bit that is seen with polishing compound

Thats the gears for the blade raise all sorted

I'm really enjoying this restoration. Apart from my father in law keeps appearing and giveing his words of wisdom. Can you remember that Harry enfield sketch, 'you dont wanna do it like that you wanna do it like this' :roll:
Mark

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
A little more, The blade raise mechanism has some adjusters to take up any slack.

I started the handwheel

There were lots of dents so I put it on the lathe and went through the grits

Mark

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a dilemma, when I cleaned the the saw it came up quite well. All my other wadkin stuff was either rusty or covered in hammerite. I quite like it with its working clothes. I dont know wether to make it all pristine or just make everything work smoothly. What do you think?

Heres the blade tilt angle indicator

mark

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd get this one pristine and working beautifully...take a rest break and think about it and then start again when the enthusiasm to do so is maximum again

Jim

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jimi, I have plenty of enthusiasm and would be in my workshop all day if I didn't have to look for a job and do my man chores. The problem I'm haveing is that its in good original condition once all the crud has been removed. I think I'm leaning towards it been like new or better. If I can get it half as good as Jacks I will be pleased.
Mark

t8hants

Established Member
Reaction score
If a machine has a bit of history its nice to see some of that retaind. The main casting seems in excellent condition only slightly faded, and I like to see details like the shop number 21. You are doing a superb job on the mechanism let the casting reflect that, as its not so scruffy as to look bad and will not detract from your restoration.

Gareth

SammyQ

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree with Gareth, Mark; this Wadkin looks the ticket as it is. The number adds authenticity too. My AGS had tonnes of rust and mice excreta, there was no option but to strip, fill, prime, paint. .

Where are you in County Durham? I'm breezing through next weekend to attend son's graduation in Durham town and if It's not too presumptuous, I'd love a quick gawk at the beastie?

Sam - the cheeky one.