Wadkin motor greasing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gray87

Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone have any knowledge on the correct grease to use for motor bearings on woodworking machinery. The machinery I have is mainly wadkin e.g. ags10 table saw and bao/s thicknesser. I have 2 tubes of qualube lithium complex grease and was wondering if these would be appropriate?

Thanks

What you want is the Shell Gadus S2 V100 3 grease, which used to be called Shell Alvania Grease 3. It's pretty much the only grease that's still made that's on Wadkin's recommended lubricant's list. Wadkin used to make their own grease for their machines but that long since stopped.

You could probably get away with using the Qualube if you really didn't want to spend though.

When I wanted grease for my newly acquired Wadkin machines, I couldn't (of course) find any of the lubricants specified. A machinist friend put me on to a local Mobil (is that Esso to you guys?) stockist, as being the only place in the region that didn't just sell automotive fuels and oils.
The woman who owns and runs the place consulted with someone in Australia, before recommending:
Mobil DTE Heavy-Medium oil to replace the Shell Vitea Oil 33; and
Mobil XHP 222 grease to replace Shell Nerita Grease 3.

I also bought a tube of: Lubrication Engineers Inc. 1233 Almatek grease (at 4 times the cost of the XHP 222 :shock: ) for some new (NOS) bearings I'm putting in one of the machines.

However, if I'd known the Shell Gadus is still a Wadkin recommended grease, I would have used that.

Cheers, Vann.

Back