Wadkin lathe restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Scoscarg, thanks very much, but obtained the brochure and manual early up.
Both VFD are Allen Bradley ( USA ) and I will need to pick up a few bits before connecting up.
The electrics are a real fun part of the project and a "reward" for all the rest of the restoration work.

Great documentation of the spindle bearing replacement. I need to do mine some time in the future. I think i will go with a ABEC 5 C2 clearance bearing for the deep groove with a phenolic cage and machined brass cage for the self aligning that's already a precision bearing. I don't mind the clipper lace belts and the click click sound they make. Its like i can hear the speed change from the VDF better. I just re laced the belt a month ago. Its the same leather belt from the 50s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkpmMIUsvGU

Finally managed to get pics together and posted !

Attachments

• IMG_1328.jpg
    IMG_1328.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_1219.jpg
    IMG_1219.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_1207ee.jpg
    IMG_1207ee.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_1200e.jpg
    IMG_1200e.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0802.jpg
    IMG_0802.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0765.jpg
    IMG_0765.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0764.jpg
    IMG_0764.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0747.jpg
    IMG_0747.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 159
The basic lathe is now completed, and runs like new !
In her previous life, she spent her time turning patterns from cheap timbers in a brake foundry.
Now she will be turning some of the most beautiful, exotic Australian native timbers such as Tasmanian Huon Pine ( beautiful honey gold in colour - probably the most rare timber in Australia ), Northern Territory Ironwood ( deep red, very hard with interlocked grain - polishes beautifully ), Brush Box ( hard and heavy with slight pink - brown tones ), Western Australia She Oak ( very rare these days, lovely amber colour with wavy grain ).
We are very lucky to have such stunning timbers available to us, but they are becoming difficult to source.

Currently, am making a set of turning rests, as there were only two short rests with the machine. Am also costing the high tensile steel to fabricate the gap bed tool rest and will then decide on fabrication vs casting from pattern.

The second hand Allen Bradley VFD units were both defective, so have decided to opt for a new TECO E510 series VFD.
This unit is IP 66, so will save me the time and trouble of obtaining an enclosure.

Will update as the last few additions are made.

Hope this post has been of interest and help to some.

My thanks go to others who have taken the time to post their restorations, and to those who have responded during this post.

I just noticed yours has the facility for off centre turning on the tail stock, I didn't know they did that on the 6". Also what are the adjustable feet like? have you tried it with them on yet. I only ask because if I put something big which is out of balance on mine it will make head stock move even though the thing weighs 700kgs.

Hi Wallace
Yes, the tailstock can be off set. I had assumed this would be common to all the RS.
I have fitted adjustable feet because my garage floor has quite a slope. Have not turned anything large and unbalanced yet, but expect most turning will be on the small side. The wheels will fit in the gap i.e under two feet, and will be basically cut to shape before turning. The feet are M16 and are rated for 1000 Kg load each.

When you fitted your IP65 VFD, where did you locate the unit ? Did you attach it to the headstock or mount it away from the machine because of vibration ? Can you post a pic ?
I think I will mount the VFD unit on the wall and use a "remote" keypad located on the machine, but not sure where to place it that will look OK.
Think I will use the original contactor to supply power to the VFD and run the VFD output directly to the motor through a shielded cable.
Did you link an emergency stop to your VFD so the machine will ramp down, rather than coast to stop ?

I made a little bracket for mine on the bed, it just hooked on and if you wanted to turn outboard you could hang it off a stand next to you. I doubt the RS would cause enough vibration to affect it. I didn't play around with it much before I sold it. I set a nice ramp down but I had no additional E-stops.

Will post some pics of how the VFD has been fitted, soon.
Have just bought a Wadkin BRA 350 ( 14 inch ) radial arm saw.
Quote reasonable condition, for about £300 and will re build.
Not sure whether there is any interest, as there was not much feed back on the RS 6 rebuild.
Lots of "lookers" but may not have been much help to others ?
If there is any interest in the BRA re build, then I may start another thread

All wips are awesome, I personally have found that just seeing what someone else has done gave me the confidence to have a go. The wip shows lots of the steps and the effort it can take. I'm sure I speak for many on here when I say thanks for you efforts on posting your wips even if we don't join in the conversation.

Hi Keith, after I finish the BRA I will be looking for a Wadkin rip saw.
Would like to find a BSW 16 or 20.
That will be fun to re build !

Have been busy obtaining an 18 inch rip saw and re building a Wadkin BRA 350 radial arm saw.
Will post pics of VFD fitted to RS6 lathe etc soon

Fired up the Wadkin Radial Arm saw for the first time yesterday.
Could hear the motor bearings spinning in the front and back housing. that's ok, but also heard the tell - tail cyclic grumbling that usually means that there is leakage between the phases.
Motor requires rewind and both bearing houses need to be machined out and bushed to suit bearing OD
So a weeks delay whilst I sort out these " irritations"

Some pics of recent activity

Attachments

• IMG_2559.jpg
    IMG_2559.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_2558.jpg
    IMG_2558.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_2554.jpg
    IMG_2554.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 199