Wadkin lathe restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a mighty fine tree house.
I recently got the dating info for wadkins and your lathe is from 1953

It's been a long time since I have been able to get back to the Wadkin. Plenty of interruptions including closing down a company, and starting a couple of new ventures !
Have recently bought a Schaublin 13 mill, which came out of a medical research facility and is almost new condition.
So decided the Harrison lathe should come up to the same condition. It's completely stripped and about to be re sprayed.
Once the Harrison is painted I can relocate it in the workshop and finally get access to the Wadkin !
So the Wadkin project is still going, just delayed.

At long last I can get back to the Wadkin restoration !
Have rebuilt the Harrison lathe and sorted out the Shaublin mill.
I started this project quite some time ago and painted the motor and base plate with a single pack epoxy paint ( green ).
after this paint curing for around six months, it still does not have a good hard feel and can be scratched with your finger nail. Having completed the Harrison lathe with a two pack epoxy ( ex USA ), which has an incredibly hard and non brittle finish, have decided to do the Wadkin in the two pack system ( Hardnose paint from PPC coatings ). Believe this is available in UK, not cheap but worth every cent ! ). I was unable to obtain or blend a suitable green colour, so have mixed a deep slate blue / grey, which I think suits the machine better. Therefore I will need to re paint the motor and base plate.
Have just completed the painting of the headstock and the inside of the headstock has been done in a deep red ( hard nose paint ), much like the original red oxide.
The speed change mechanism is ready to fit, and once the motor and base plate are done, I can fit the spindle with new bearings.
Will post some pics of progress, including some from the delay .

Below are the added pics, looks like they show up in reverse order

Attachments

• DSCN4093.jpg
    DSCN4093.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0295.jpg
    IMG_0295.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0294.jpg
    IMG_0294.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0274.jpg
    IMG_0274.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0381.jpg
    IMG_0381.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0307.jpg
    IMG_0307.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0310.jpg
    IMG_0310.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 180
Nice work, in my past restorations I've used machinery enamel which is great for drying times. You can handle and assemble parts the day after. The downside is it is quite brittle and if it gets a ding it chips down to primer. Can you do a walk through with lots of pics when you do the bearings. RS lathes came with different bearing installation depending on age. I'm not sure but some of the later ones had to have pre load set on the bearings.

Hi Wallace
Will post pics of bearing installation.
There will be no Pre load for this Wadkin, the inboard bearing is a plain
bearing and the outboard bearing is a self aligning plain bearing. They have defined seating positions determined by their position on the inboard side. The outboard position is either very accurately machined or has a small degree of float.
Usually, preload is required on timkin type tapered bearings.

I forgot to mention that this paint is really very hard ! But it also is so tough you can belt it with a hammer and it will not chip.
It is usually wise to allow about 4 days to fully cure but you can assemble within two days

Hi Wallace
Best to look at the USA site. www.por15.com/HARDNOSE
They do only 15 colours, so no, they are not making to the European RAL system.
Their products are aimed at the auto / agricultural market.
Whilst their colour range is limited, they are carefully chosen to enable quite a range of colours with careful blending.
The colour I have blended for the Wadkin is light blue(5 parts) with black (1 part ). This works well because their black is a blue back.
These paints only come in a high gloss.

Today I put back the speed change mechanism, and installed the new flat belt.
The flat belt is a continuous belt, with no metal joiner, so that will eliminate the slap that normally occurs with this drive.
Also put one of the plaques on the electrical door, after respraying the black background and polishing the bronze lettering..
Have now prepared both the motor and base plate for re spraying to the new colour.
Because my garage floor has a slope, I have now sorted the adjustable feet, and will fit these tomorrow so I can finally take the headstock off it's pallet. Once this is done, I can proceed to fit the spindle and new bearings.

Should work, but suggest you just google " hard nose paint " or " ppc paints " and that should give you a live link.
If you have trouble, I can email you the Australian and USA site.
If you can blend colours, this is the best paint I have used in over 40 years !

Yesterday, we fitted the spindle so have included detailed pics, as requested. Today, the motor and base plate went in and will test run the headstock assembly tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_0500.jpg
    IMG_0500.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0498.jpg
    IMG_0498.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0497.jpg
    IMG_0497.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0496.jpg
    IMG_0496.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0494.jpg
    IMG_0494.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0491.jpg
    IMG_0491.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0489.jpg
    IMG_0489.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0487.jpg
    IMG_0487.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0484.jpg
    IMG_0484.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 95
Because one can only add 10 attachments at a time, the remaining pics are below.
These should have appeared as the first, so will know better another time

Attachments

• IMG_0481.jpg
    IMG_0481.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0479.jpg
    IMG_0479.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0478e.jpg
    IMG_0478e.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0476.jpg
    IMG_0476.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0474.jpg
    IMG_0474.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0472.jpg
    IMG_0472.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0469.jpg
    IMG_0469.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 95
Thanks for that. Did you have to put new bearings in? The original would have been SKF or Hoffman depending on what number your lathe is. You can always tell when some ones been inside before because they use a chisel to knock the split nut around

Hi Wallace
The original bearings were Skefco ( SKF )( inboard end ) and Hoffman for the self aligning outboard end.
the inboard bearing was run dry and a bit noisy, so I decided to replace all bearings.
I think these were original bearings and there was no damage to the inboard split nut.

Back