Wadkin lathe restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sawtooth-9":37rszr3k said:
Spanner to remove and apply the split lock nut to the motor shaft

I've just bought an RS 6, with a few bits missing. I need to order a new belt, and would like to use a continuous one so am removing the spindle and cleaning the bearings at the same time. I have a couple of questions, and please excuse my terminology as I'm a woodworker not an engineer!

1. The top pulley has a hole where I'd expect to find a grub screw, but there doesn't appear to be a screw in there. Is this usual, as the bottom pulley definitely has a grub screw with an allen head.
2. The split lock nut looks clean and undamaged, but I can't seem to get the collar off which presumably needs to be removed before the lock nut (I've removed the small grub screw on the collar) any advice as to how I remove this? I'll probably have a spanner made for the split lock nut.
3. Do the bearings come out with the spindle, or are they a tight fit into the casting?

Thanks in advance!

Ed

Hi edcstephens
Glad you have opted for a continuous belt.
I have just fired up the headstock yesterday and it just runs so much smoother and quieter with a continuous belt.
When I removed the old belt, I had to guess how much stretch there was, but it looks like I have made the belt about 1 - 1/2 inch shorter than I should. I will compensate by placing a 3/4 inch "packer" under the lifting point, which will make the speed change much smoother.
To answer your questions :
1 I also found that there was no grub acre in the top pulley, but checked the hole to find that no thread had been tapped. I was tempted to tap a thread, but decided that it was not really necessary.
2 The collar in front of the split nut is an easy slide fit. It can be a little difficult to remove due to solidified grease. Once you are sure you have loosened the grub screw sufficiently to clear the indent in the spindle shaft you can GENTLY tap a small screwdriver between the collar and the split nut. Another approach is to insert the spindle locking pin in the outboard end, insert an allen key into the grub screw and gently tap the allen key with a small hammer. Grub screws are easily replaced, so if the collar is really stuck, its the grub screw you can sacrifice.
3 Once te collar and split nut are removed, you can remove the outboard bearing cover. This may require a little leverage, but will come free. There are two bolts and two dowel pins. The dowel pins may come with the flange or remain in the casting. This does not matter.
Having removed the outboard cover, you can tap out the spindle from the inboard side towards the outboard side. As you do this, the short spindle spacer will drop out and as you continue, the top pulley will drop down. As soon as the spindle is clear of the pulley, the spindle can easily be remover from the outboard end. The front ( inboard bearing ) will remain in the casting, and the outboard bearing will either come with the shaft or remain in the casting. Simply, gently and evenly punch out each remaining bearing. They are not tight.

Assembly is easier. Fit the outboard bearing to the spindle against the spindle shoulder. Slide on the long spacer. Insert the key in the spindle keyway. Start to insert the spindle into the casting, and fit the top pulley as you slide the spindle in. Once the pulley is in, continue to insert the spindle and tap in the outboard bearing until it seats against the casting shoulder. Then from the inboard end, you can slide the short spacer through the casting. Then fit the outboard bearing cover and insert the spindle locking pin. Once the spindle is locked, you can tap in the inboard bearing, fit the split nut and finally replace the front collar. Sounds a bit involved, but quite simple and logical.

Hope this helps.
What parts are you missing for your RS6 ? and are you based in UK and where did you find the RS6 ?

Connected up the headstock to some power yesterday, and runs sooo smooth. The continuous belt is really worth it.
Have now cleaned up the bed having laid it on each side to sand back.
Then assembled the rear stand to the bed and added a front support, so bed is now ready to mask and etch prime.
Once this is painted, I will lift the assembled bed to the headstock, remove the front wooden support and bolt on

Attachments

• IMG_0538.jpg
    IMG_0538.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0537.jpg
    IMG_0537.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0534.jpg
    IMG_0534.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 201
Hi Sawtooth,

Thanks for sending such a detailed reply; all questions answered!

I picked up the RS6 from Daltons in the UK....They've had it for quite a while and ended up selling it on eBay, so I think I got a reasonably good deal. I'm based in South Devon.

The machine and test numbers are: RS1047 34664 which I think dates it to 1949?

I'm not really missing too much. At some point the machine would have had the travelling slide tool carriage fitted but I'm not too worried about not having that. I have no faceplates but have asked Daltons about supplying them. I'd like to find a tool rest holder for when the gap bed is removed so will keep my eyes open on eBay unless you have any other suggestions?

Thanks again,

Ed

Nice work mate, I am so getting withdrawal from machine restorations. I cant wait to get stuck into my disc and bobbin sander

Hi Ed I too am missing the tool rest holder for when the gap is removed. I think I might have to make this unless anyone on the site has a spare for sale.

Can anyone on the site supply a dimensioned drawing ?

Hello Ed and Sawtooth,

I have 2 of the tool rest holders so can send you some dimensions, I have one for use and one spare but I am holding on to it until I can exchange it for a steady or 2 speed motor and switchgear ....

Merlin

Merlin you lucky so and so. Two of them tool rests. I found one at a machine dealers but he wouldn't sell. They are like rocking horse poo.

Hi Merlin, would appreciate any sketch and dimensions you could supply. I doubt I will find an original in Aus. But will keep looking just in case. Thanks again.

Here's a few pickies.

If you need any more just let me know.

Cheers, Merlin

Attachments

• tool rest 5.JPG
    tool rest 5.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 134
  • tool res1.JPG
    tool res1.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 134
  • tool rest4.JPG
    tool rest4.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 134
  • tool restr 3.JPG
    tool restr 3.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 134
Hi Merlin
Thanks so much, very much appreciated.
Not sure yet whether I will fabricate or make a pattern and have it cast.
Once the lathe itself is done, I will start on the tool holder and keep you updated on the progress.
Hopefully, Ed will be able to do likewise thanks to your efforts.
Cheers

More work on the Wadkin today. Finally got to paint the bed, made easy because of the stand providing easy masking and spraying access.
Once paint has hardened, the whole bed assembly can be moved into place and bolted to the headstock. Will do this sometime next week.

Attachments

• IMG_0604.jpg
    IMG_0604.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0589.jpg
    IMG_0589.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0574.jpg
    IMG_0574.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0569.jpg
    IMG_0569.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 101
All the small bits have been stripped down to bare metal, etch primed and filled.
Tomorrow they will get their top coat.
Takes as much time to do all the small bits, as it does the main pieces !
Really looking forward to assembling the tailstock, saddle and apron.
Might post some pics if there is any interest, or just wait until the completed machine.

Have finally assembled machine and am just getting pics together.
Also, have bought a couple of VFD drives ( one for the Wadkin and one for the Harrison metal lathe )
I decided to add the VFD because this machine has only a single speed motor and there is insufficient speed range.

The motor I have is a dual voltage ( 220 / 420 volt ) three phase. It is 220 volt when configured in delta and 420 volt in star.
As I have a three phase supply ( 100 amps per phase ) I will leave the motor in the star configuration and input 415 volt three phase to the VFD.
If I only had a single phase supply I would configure in delta and use a VFD that could use a single phase 220 volt input.
Pics soon, and update on electrics

Back