Wadkin lathe restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the cause is " discovered "
Removed all shafts again and set these between centers on the Harrison lathe.
Found that both the "D" and "E" shafts had been bent by about 5 thou and careful inspection of the wear pattern on the 16 tooth gears was quite uneven. The result is the gear is running out of true, enough to create the tapping sound. There is evidence that this lathe has had a crash, so a bent shaft or two is not that surprising. The diagnosis was complicated by the fact that the bend on the "E" shaft was on the chuck end and the bend on the "D" shaft was on the drive side. So it was really hard to pinpoint where the noise came from.
So, now looking in UK and NZ for replacement shafts, or I will get these made locally.
I really did not think 5 thou run out would be enough to cause such a defined noise, but these gearboxes must be machined to quite fine tolerances.

acewoodturner":12qylsdm said:
Made in the days when engineers set the standards and not the accountants!

What an absolutely fabulous age that was in the history of Britain's makers. When the quality of the product and it's fitness for the job was the primary focus rather than whether or not the CEO or major shareholder would be able to upgrade their yacht! Don't misunderstand my rant, I'm no pinko by a long stretch, but I do lament the passing of a time when priorities seemed better aligned to me.

I watch Wallace's rebuild threads with a constant "drool" escaping the side of my mouth at these beautiful cast iron behemoths and feel that as a Nation we've really lost something, something important. Then the post arrives and I find the "metal" chimanea I bought from China is such thin gauge that if you make the mistake of waving it near a rain drop it will have rusted through before it's finished lighting! What a tit I was for being fooled into thinking it was a "bargain".

I know I know....the whole world wants to be "middle class"...lets not start the geopolitical debate about cheap labour etc etc......I'll stop ranting and do something useful.

Chased up some shafts ex UK. Ouch !!
They wanted Au$ 1380 + $200 shipping for one and $2100 + shipping for the other. Then add 10% GST and import duty. So would end up costing around $4000 for two simple shafts.
Have commissioned both shafts to be made locally including precision grinding for less than the cost of one shaft ex UK.
These Colchester parts suppliers are a real "rip off" . I don't mind paying a fair price but that was just plain silly.
Whilst I wait for the new shafts, have started stripping the lathe and removing the old paint.

Time to post some pics !

Attachments

• IMG_2810.jpg
    IMG_2810.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_2809.jpg
    IMG_2809.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_2788.jpg
    IMG_2788.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_2791.jpg
    IMG_2791.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_2792.jpg
    IMG_2792.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_2778.jpg
    IMG_2778.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_2744.jpg
    IMG_2744.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 215
After messing about with an Aussie gear cutter, decided to purchase shafts ex UK.
Found a very helpful supplier, who came in at a reasonable price, and delivery to Aus was really fast.
Installed new shafts but still have some gear slap, so have run a gear matrix to confirm my suspicion of the gears involved. As expected they are two gears that mate with the gears integral with the bent shafts.
Pulled the headstock down again today and am awaiting quotes and availability of these gears ex UK.

Just ordered the two cluster gears. I think that's what you call a dollar ouch !!!
Had to remove the spindle to get one of the cluster gears out, but that was a good reason to inspect the Gamet bearings. They look to be good.
Will be interesting to re set the Pre load !
May post some pics of the spindle and bearing arrangement if there is any interest.

Having replaced the bent shafts, there was still a level of gear slap, so pulled the box apart, once again !

Attachments

• IMG_2901.jpg
    IMG_2901.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2906.jpg
    IMG_2906.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2905.jpg
    IMG_2905.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2908.jpg
    IMG_2908.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2913.jpg
    IMG_2913.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 82
Finally put the headstock back together. Now has two new pinion shafts and two new sets of cluster gears.
Getting the spindle back into place was quite easy, although it took a few attempts to get the Gamet preload right.
She now runs "sweet".
Going in for a little surgery tomorrow, but should be back into it in a few weeks.
Next job is to complete the bed & headstock painting, then start the feed box.

The liitle surgery had a couple of complications and the operation lasted a marathon 7 1/2 hours. Ended up a bit sore, bruised and generally beaten about. However managed to escape last Saturday and have been recovering much better at home. Soon will start looking at some of the lighter bits of the Colchester to get back into the "swing"

Get well soon.

I guess it was more than 9 sore teeth (a bad play on your handle "sawtooth-9")

Cheers, Vann.

Have finally recovered enough to start working the Cholchester again !
Yes Van, 9 sore teeth would have been a lot easier.
Over the next week, should be able to do a little filling and masking in preparation for priming and top coat.
Cochesters are a bit like BSA motorbikes, tend to leak oil, so have remade all gaskets on the headstock and also applied a gasket sealant. Nice to keep the oil INSIDE the box !

Back