wadkin jointer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffalobill

Established Member
Reaction score
I found a wadkin 8 inch jointer from 1974 in good condition the guy who sell wants 400 pounds is this a good buy ?
I dont have any experience with this machines but seems like a very solid machine.
Anything i should look for ?
Its ok to get parts for these machines ?

Hello Buffalobill. I am assuming this is the jointer here:

http://www.finn.no/finn/torget/tilsalgs/bilder?finnkode=36302687

I don't think parts will be easy to find but they are very well made and heavy tools. The parts most likely that need replacing will be the blades. Since this does not have a thicknesser it is a simpler machine with less to go wrong.

If you need a thicknesser as well, you could always go for something like this:

http://www.finn.no/finn/torget/tilsalgs/annonse?finnkode=36508484

I have an Inca and it is an excellent machine that takes up very little space. If you need a heavy duty planer / jointer, the Wadkin would be an excellent choice and you could probably get it for 3800 - 4000 NOK.

Mvh.

Paul.

yes its this one it is very close too only 1 hour drive for pick it up, i am more into to seperate machines and there is plenty of good machines to find for a good price compare to what you have to pay for new ones if you just have some patient.
But i dont want to buy a machine i cant fix if something should happen to it need to be abel to get parts.

Don't be scared off by the fact that spares are no longer made for the machine. Many of those older machines were designed to last a lifetime and will unless badly mistreated. If you need a solid machine, it would be suitable. Just check it before you decide to make sure everything works. I have a garage full of tools that are no longer made. If they need repairs, I get generic parts and repair them. In Norway good machines are very cheap. I come from Australia where trying to get good, old fashioned tools like that is nearly impossible. Since moving to Norway I have been enjoying the excellent used tool market.

Paul.

Jointers are dirt simple. Change the bearings in the head, the bearings in the motor, sharpen & set the knives, clean the rest, double-check the wiring, and maybe, maybe repaint. I've restored 3--one with babbitt bearings, one with bronze sleeve bearings, and one with ball bearings, and they were all easy. The toughest part will be handling the tables.

Kirk

Back